Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, August 12, 2013

REVIEW: "Obsidian" by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
For Ages 13+
Young Adult -- Science Fiction
Entangled Teen -- November 2011
Ebook, 287 pages
Purchased from Amazon

THEMES
Opposites attract, Aliens, Small town setting
  SUMMARY
Starting over sucks.  When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.  And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me.  You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


FIRST LINE
I stared at the pile of boxes in my new bedroom, wishing the Internet had been hooked up.

MY THOUGHTS
Before reading Obsidian, I was a little hesitant because of the high expectations that I had going into it.  So many bloggers had gushed over the series that I was terrified I wouldn't like it.  But, I'm glad I finally jumped in because this book was definitely worth the money and time.  It was not my first JLA book since I'm a fan of her Covenant series, but it is the one that really turned me into a fangirl.  Obsidian was an amazing story filled with intriguing characters and tons of series potential.

The heroine and narrator of this series is Katy Swartz who has just moved to a small town in West Virginia from Florida and, like many teenagers, isn't happy about all the changes in her life.  I really liked her as the protagonist.  She is a typical YA heroine with her pretty (but not drop-dead gorgeous) looks, intellect, and teenaged moodiness.  But, what really stands out for me with Katy is the fact that she is a book blogger!  I loved that JLA chose this to be her main hobby and it really helped me connect with her.  Plus readers can see the affection that the author has for bloggers with her depiction of Katy.  How can you not love a heroine who is as obsessed with ARCs, reviews, and book teasers as we are?

And then there's Daemon Black.  This is a character that I have seen all over the book blogger world since this book came out and I can definitely tell why.  He is extremely good-looking, but that doesn't hide the fact that he is a complete jerk for most of Obsidian.  His arrogance and snarky attitude could definitely have been a turn-off for me and many other readers.  Despite these flaws, there is something that draws me into Daemon's character.  I can see definite hero potential in him especially with the whole super-charged alien thing and the mysterious family history.

It is pretty obvious that Katy and Daemon are meant to be an item in this series, but I liked the way that JLA started off their relationship.  Their constant arguing is highly entertaining and full of chemistry.  There is no sign of insta-love when it comes to these two despite the obvious physical attraction which I love!  I also liked the quieter, more intimate moments where Katy and Daemon actually stop fighting and talk to each other.  They do have a connection and I am eager to see it continue to develop as the series progresses.

Science fiction isn't a genre that I'm normally drawn to, but the whole world of the Lux completely captured my attention.  I loved how Armentrout described the Lux's past and how they ended up on Earth.  The complex world building is obvious and I can see that there is still much to be learned about this race and their future on the planet.

All in all, I was really impressed with Obsidian and am glad I finally started the series.  The characters are well-written and likable though not without flaws.  The world building is detailed and complicated enough to keep readers guessing.  And the romance is one that is slowly developing and seems like it will be well worth the wait.  I definitely recommend this book!



5 STARS
FAVORITE QUOTES
**So the dickhead had a name. Daemon—seemed fitting. And of course his sister would be as attractive as him. Why not? Welcome to West Virginia, the land of lost models.

**"I've always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside and out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect." His eyes searched mine intently, and for a moment we stood there toe to toe. "The ones who throw their beauty around, waste what they have? Their beauty is only passing. It's just a shell hiding nothing but shadows and emptiness."

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
0.5. Shadows
1. Obsidian
2. Onyx
3. Opal
4. Origin

7 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you decided to read this series. Yeah, Daemon is such a jerk in this book. I'm not sure I would have continued with the series if it weren't for the scenes from his POV at the end of the book. I started liking him alot more. And, he's nicer in the rest of the series, but he has his snarky attitude. I cannot wait to read origin. But I'm nervous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this book! Although admittedly it was just an okay read for me. Daemon was such a jerk it irritated the heck out of me. :) Although he does get better in the next books and Origin should be exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh glad to hear I'm not the only one that was a little nervous about starting these. I've had them sitting at the house for a while now because really they sounded great but with all the raves I kept putting it off for the same reason. Feeling a little braver now. lol Great review Jennifer!

    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely worth your time! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Hi! I have been following your blog for a little while on bloglovin on my phone so I don't think I've had the chance to comment before. But I've gotten a couple books at your suggestion (The Heiress Effect for one) and you have not let me down yet! I read this book and Onyx in like two days this week and loved it. Daemon definitely turned me off at first too- especially when he pressured Katy to go to the lake with him. That was pretty sketchy. But he's won me over by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that my recommendations have been working for you. Definitely makes me happy! Daemon was a bit sketchy at the beginning, but I am a full fangirl for him now. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I've finished reading it a couple of hours ago and I'm still reeling from those final scenes :) I have to say that I too was a little reluctant to start this series because of all the high praises surrounding it but I'm also glad I took the chance. This was one entertaining book! I can't wait to discover more about the Luxen and about Katy :)

    Camille @ Girl meets Books

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.