Saturday, July 27, 2013

WEEKLY RECAP: July 21-27, 2013


THIS WEEK ON FEMINIST FAIRY TALE REVIEWS

REVIEWS
5 Stars -- The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister #2) by Courtney Milan (historical romance)
I feel like a broken record every time I write a review for a Courtney Milan book because there is something about her writing that grabs me from the very beginning and doesn't let me go until the end.
3.5 Stars -- When Lightning Strikes (1-800-Where-R-U #1) by Meg Cabot (YA paranormal)
  I thought this was a decent beginning to an interesting character's journey.
3.5 Stars -- Code Name: Cassandra (1-800-Where-R-U #2) by Meg Cabot (YA paranormal)
I did enjoy this book, but not as much as I was hoping.  I think the characters are interesting and the psychic powers thing is fun.  There is just something missing from these books that I usually find in a Meg Cabot story that I can put my finger on right now.  

FEATURES

MY READING UPDATE


Once Upon a Tower (Fairy Tales #6) by Eloisa James -- Fun retelling of Rapunzel with a sexy Scottish duke and a talented cellist.  I loved this couple and think it is one of the best of the entire series.  It can be read as a stand-alone.  Review coming soon.

The Dragon and the Pearl (Tang Dynasty #2) by Jeannie Lin -- Historical romance set in 8th century China between a powerful warlord and a concubine.  The political intrigue was captivating and the romance was very sweet.  I also liked the unique setting which is a refreshing change from Regency-era England.  Review coming soon.

Conspiracy in Death (In Death #8) by JD Robb -- Another great mystery with Eve and Roarke! I loved the balance that Robb set between Eve's job and personal life in this one. The mystery was pretty in-depth and I was impressed with the way that Eve and her team figured everything out. And Roarke was wonderfully supportive and sexy as always.

The Winning Season by Alison Packard -- I love sports so I was instantly attracted to this romance between a bad boy catcher and a publicist. Overall, I thought this was an entertaining read. I liked both Matt and Kelly and appreciated the depth that the author gave their characters. I didn't like the way that Matt treated Kelly at a certain point in the story and didn't think he deserved to be forgiven as fast as he did. I also thought the ending was a bit abrupt though it was sweet.  Review coming soon.

Code Name: Cassandra (1-800-Where-R-U #2) by Meg Cabot -- Funny installment in this YA paranormal series.  I liked the music camp story line and thought the way that it showed how Jess's character was growing was interesting.  But, I just felt like there was something missing that would have made it a home run for me.  Review can be found above.

CURRENTLY READING


NEW TO THE TBR SHELF


Quintana of the Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles #3) by Melina Marchetta (YA fantasy)
On Dublin Street by Samantha Young (contemporary romance)
The Cursed (Legend of the Black Swan #1) by Alyssa Day (paranormal romance)
Free Agent (Mustangs Baseball #0.5) by Roz Lee (contemporary romance)
Heirs and Spares by J.L. Spohr (historical romance)
Sweet Young Thang (Theta Alpha Gamma #3) by Anne Tenino (male/male romance)

GREAT BOOKISH DEALS

Savor by Megan Duncan (YA paranormal) [FREE]
Rebellious Desire by Julie Garwood (historical romance) [$0.99]
One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy (NA contemporary) [$0.99]
A View to a Kiss by Caroline Linden (historical romance) [$1.99]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.