Tuesday, July 23, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Words and Topics That Will Make Me NOT Pick Up a Book


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

TOP TEN WORDS AND TOPICS THAT WILL MAKE ME NOT PICK UP A BOOK

1. Cheating/Adultery
I can't stand when a couple is established and then one of them cheats on the other and expects to be fully forgiven immediately.  Not romantic!

2. Obvious Love Triangles
I don't mind love triangles...if there is a purpose to them and they are written well.  But, I will probably not pick up a book that tells me there will be a love triangle in the summary and that it will be the focus of the entire story.

3. Religion
I don't mind religion in a book if it is a key aspect of a character, but I usually won't seek out stories with religion as the main focus.  They are not necessarily bad...it's just not a theme I'm interested in reading about in fiction.

4. Secret Baby Plots
I hate these in romance novels!  There are some authors that can make this work for me, but they are extremely rare.

5. Sheikhs
I tried reading a sheikh romance a few years ago and was so disgusted by it that I can't read another one.  I'm sure there are plenty of well-written sheikh love stories out there, but I can't get that first one out of my head.

6. Boss/Secretary Romances
These can turn so bad so quickly for me.  I'm not into that type of power struggle in my romances so I avoid them as a rule.

7. Politics
Similar to religion, I don't mind a few mentions of it as a part of a character, but it isn't a topic I like to see in my fictional fun.

8. Revenge Plots
I have read some decent revenge-themed romances, but not recently.  Most of the time I get so angry at the person who is seeking revenge that I can't enjoy the overall story.

9. Spies/Private Investigators
Another theme that I have read and enjoyed in the past, but doesn't really interest me right now.  I think it is mostly overload on my part.

10. Zombies
I love a variety of paranormal creatures, but zombies are one that I have never had much interest in reading.  I am a huge scaredy-cat so I never got into zombie movies plus they always seem so gory!  One exception to the rule was the hilarious Warm Bodies.



13 comments:

  1. I was with you until spies & zombies. Those are my favorite things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a well-written spy story, but I do think twice before starting one. And zombies (other than R from Warm Bodies) give me the creeps. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I had to look up Sheikhs. I didn't know what that was at all. So they're just romance novels that take place in the Arabia/Persia? Do they have to have an actual Sheikh or Harem?

    Love Triangles made my list too. I don't like it when they're the main selling point in a synopsis. If they're well written, fine, but they can't be the only thing that moves a plot.

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the Sheikh stories that I tried were series romances which were in a contemporary setting and mostly set in the Arabian Peninsula. Most of the heroes are given the title Sheikh though I'm not sure how true to life they were. I just thought it was a too obvious way to tell readers "my hero is exotic and rich" while giving them a basic contemporary romance. I love unusual settings, but these often were poorly researched and unrealistic. I would love to find and read a well-written and fully-developed romance with a sheikh someday. And, yes, on love triangles! Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Secret baby plots--bahahaha. That's hilarious. I'm totally with you on zombies. They made my list, too. I also shy away from boss/secretary or any other "power struggle" love, too. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your #1...blech.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books with cheating in it are definitely turnoffs for me. No, just no.
    And secret baby plots! I'm definitely avoiding those like the plague. Using babies to do anything is wrong.
    Great list! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Secret baby plots!! Whoa. Yeah, that would be too All my Children for me :/ I like my books dramatic, but not over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, yeah sheikh stories aren't my thing either. I read one years and years ago, and really disliked it. I've never touched one since. And the covers are always ridiculous, too!

    I kind of like boss/secretary stories. Not always, but I don't mind them, or anything. And I HATE love triangles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only boss/secretary story I remember enjoying is a historical romance called And Then He Kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke. Have you read it? It is really good! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  8. Totally agree that cheating is not romantic at all. Who wants to deal with that crap? I also agree with politics and religion. I read to escape not get more bogged down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I totally agree with your list. Zombies on the whole make me go ick, so I tend to avoid books that contain them - although there are some exceptions.
    P.S. Sorry this is a late comment, I didn't have the chance to be online yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Half of you list are things I read constantly (boss/secretary, sheikh, secret baby books) so I'll just disagree. I agree on the cheating aspect. I hate that! Thanks for stopping by mine.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.