Tuesday, July 9, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Best and Worst Book-to-Movie Adaptations


Hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.

TOP TEN BEST AND WORST BOOK-TO-MOVIE ADAPTATIONS


***BEST***


1. To Kill A Mockingbird
One of the best adaptations I've ever read/seen.  Gregory Peck is Atticus Finch!


2. Lord of the Rings trilogy
I never thought a movie would be able to do this epic fantasy justice, but I was so glad I was wrong.


3. Pride and Prejudice
The BBC miniseries (with Colin Firth!) just escalated my adoration for this book.


4. The Hunger Games
I was really impressed with how the screenwriters were able to translate the most important aspects of the book into the movie.


5. Howl's Moving Castle
Confession...I prefer watching the Hayao Miyazaki's animated version than reading the book.

Honorable Mentions: Ten Things I Hate About You, The Devil Wears Prada, Matilda, Clueless

***WORST***

1. Confessions of a Shopaholic
They completed changed the majority of the plot and even the setting!  Becky is British, not American.

2. The Princess Diaries
I actually saw (and loved) the movie before I read the books and I still like it, but it is a horrible adaptation.  Way too Disney-fied!

3. The Other Boleyn Girl
This is one of my favorite historical fiction novels and I absolutely hated the Eric Bana film.  I understand needing to take liberties, but this one was ridiculously bad.

4. The Lovely Bones
I couldn't even finish this one...I turned it off halfway through and gave it away.

5. The Scarlet Letter
I'm not always a big fan of "classic literature", but I love this book.  And the Demi Moore version was horrible and just made me mad.

Honorable Mentions: Ella Enchanted, Water for Elephants, Pride and Prejudice (Laurence Olivier version)

9 comments:

  1. I was torn on The Princess Diaries - I was the same as I saw the film before reading any of the books, but since reading the books I think the film does miss something. Love To Kill A Mockingbird though, great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I forgot about To Kill a Mockingbird! Shameful because that movie was amazing.

    Don't even get me started on Confessions of a Shopaholic. I could talk forever on how awful this movie was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm the only person who hasn't seen the adaptations of To Kill A Mockingbird and Pride and Prejudice. Yikes! I'm going to have to work on that.
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the exact same way about The Princess Diaries. It's a horrible adaptation (Meg Cabot even pokes fun at it in a later book), but it's such a fun movie on its own! :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've got quite a few similar ones on our lists! I agree on Howl's Moving Castle - one of only a few instances where I like the movie better than the book! Ten Things I Hate About You and Clueless - yes! I didn't even think of those and I love both of those! Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pride and Prejudice and Hunger Games are on my list too! I just love those movies! Great list :)

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to laugh so hard at Scarlet Letter. It was the movie I went to on a first date, and the guy and I laughed all the way through it! It was always a fun little joke between us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe I left the Lord of the Rings off of my list! It was an excellent adaptation and I absolutely love both the books and the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All five of your "bests" were on my list too, but sadly, one of your worsts was on my best list. I liked The Princess Diaries, but have to agree, they Disneyfied for sure.

    Crystal @ Reading Through Life

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.