Sunday, June 2, 2013

WEEKLY RECAP: June 2, 2013

I have been on the hunt for a great way to recap my week and figured that I would try this one out.  It is partially inspired by Clock Rewinders, an awesome feature created by Amanda at On a Book Bender and Tara at 25 Hour Books.   Check out their posts every week!

THIS WEEK ON FEMINIST FAIRY TALE REVIEWS
MY READING UPDATE
I was a little MIA the past few weeks because of a few real life situations, but here's what I've been reading since the last time I did one of these.

Sweet Revenge by Zoe Archer -- Very entertaining historical romance with an escaped convict hero and a heroine with a double life.  I loved the combination of history, romance, and suspense.  I definitely will be looking forward to the next in the series.

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy -- Funny and clever retelling of four famous fairy tales with emphasis on their respective "Princes Charming".  You can find my review here.

Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins -- Very enjoyable sequel to one of my favorite reads of 2012, Sweet Evil.  Love the depiction of good girl Anna and sexy drummer Kai!  The world of angels, fallen angels, and Nephs is getting more complicated and I am excited to see how everything finishes up.

Seducing the Single Lady by Maya Rodale -- Cute little story that is inspired by the songs of Beyonce.  I really liked the heroine.  The hero got a bit on my nerves with his arrogance at times, but he redeemed himself pretty well by the end.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Volume 4 by Naoko Takeuchi -- Another exciting and nostalgic trip with the Sailor Scouts and Tuxedo Mask!  Things are starting to take a dark turn by the end of this volume and I am eager to see where Takeuchi takes the plot next.

Eon by Alison Goodman -- Very creative YA fantasy that is heavily inspired by Asian culture.  The mythology of the dragons and how it is woven into the society that the characters inhabit.  I had some problems relating to the protagonist, but loved the side characters.  I will be checking out the sequel in the future.

All Night with a Rogue by Alexandra Hawkins -- An intriguing, and steamy, historical romance that is not afraid to push the envelope.  I liked both main characters, but I did have trouble believing in the love story part due to the lack of interaction between the hero and heroine that was not sexual.  

BOOKISH DEALS OF THE WEEK
Penelope Scotsmen Prefer Blondes (Muses of Mayfair, #2) Madly (Madly, #1) One Week Girlfriend (Drew + Fable, #1) A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)

Penelope by Anya Wylde [historical romance] (FREE)
Scotsmen Prefer Blondes by Sara Ramsey [historical romance] (FREE)
Madly by M. Leighton [YA fantasy] (FREE)
One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy [NA contemporary] ($0.99)
A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare [historical romance] ($0.99)

The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1) A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) The Vincent Boys (The Vincent Boys, #1) Pleasure for Pleasure (Essex Sisters, #4) Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1)

The Perils of Pleasure by Julie Anne Long [historical romance] ($1.99)
A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole [paranormal romance] ($1.99)
The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines [YA contemporary] ($1.99)
Pleasure for Pleasure by Eloisa James [historical romance] ($2.99)
Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath [historical romance] ($2.99)

READING CHALLENGE UPDATES

Seriously Series Challenge: 
Series Starting In 2013 -- Completed 2 of 12 series
Series Started Before 2013 -- Completed 8 of 12 series
Series Rereads -- Completed of series

Why Buy the Cow Reading Challenge:
Completed 6 of 24 free books

Debut Author Reading Challenge:
Completed 1 of 12 YA/MG debuts

Immortals Reading Challenge:
Completed 14 of 20 books

Paranormal Reading Challenge:
Completed 8 of 12 categories

Dystopia Reading Challenge:
Completed 4 of 13 dystopian reads

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the awesome deals. Scotsmen prefer blondes, I am going to have to go get right NOW! Texas Destiny is a great one. I just love that series by Heath. Looks like you have had a great reading week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.