Sunday, May 5, 2013

WEEKLY RECAP: May 5, 2013

I have been on the hunt for a great way to recap my week and figured that I would try this one out.  It is partially inspired by Clock Rewinders, an awesome feature created by Amanda at On a Book Bender and Tara at 25 Hour Books.   Check out their posts every week!

THIS WEEK ON FEMINIST FAIRY TALE REVIEWS

MY READING UPDATE


Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid -- A cute and hilarious contemporary romance with a quirky heroine and sexy hero.  The ending was a bit over-the-top, but, overall, the story was entertaining.  Full review coming soon.

How Beauty Loved the Beast by Jax Garren -- The conclusion to Garren's intriguing steampunk fairy tale with a scarred hero and a dancer heroine.  I loved the way Jolie and Hauk's story finished out and how the fairy tale aspects were utilized.  Full review coming soon.

Winterblaze by Kristen Callihan -- Another great installment in the Darkest London series which mixes paranormal and historical romance.  This particular story involves a husband and wife who have to reassess their marriage after some pretty damaging secrets are revealed.

Line of Scrimmage by Marie Force -- Contemporary romance with a star quarterback hero who is trying to keep his wife from filing for divorce.  I love sports stories so this one was pretty enjoyable.  The romance was cute and the characters were well-developed.  The external drama was a little off-putting especially the "villains" motivations.

Elixir by Jennifer L. Armentrout -- Intriguing novella in the Covenant series told from Aiden's point of view shortly after the cliffhanger of the last book.  Definitely wet my appetite for the next full-length Covenant novel, Apollyon.

Beauty and the Blacksmith by Tessa Dare -- Spindle Cove novella between popular side character Diana Highwood and blacksmith, Aaron Dawes.  I loved the "across the tracks" aspect of this story, but wish there had been more because it had definite full-length novel potential.  Full review coming soon.

Built 4 It by Daisy Harris -- Very unique male/male romance between a young scientist and an alpha "stein" (reanimated corpse).  Steins aren't your normal zombies so the love story didn't freak me out as much as I thought it would.  The relationship between Ben and Zee was very sweet and took some turns I wasn't expecting which is a good thing.

I'm currently reading About a Dragon, the second in G.A. Aiken's hilarious Dragon Kin series, and loving Briec and Talaith's banter.  I'm also getting ready to start on Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout and can't wait to see what happens to Alex and Aiden next.  In terms of audiobooks, I plan on starting Alison Goodman's Eon since I just purchased it in Audible's Semi-Annual sale.

Drop Dead Demons (Divinicus Nex Chronicles #2)
Expected Publication: Early Summer 2013

Champion (Legend, #3)
Expected Publication: November 5, 2013


READING CHALLENGE UPDATES

Seriously Series Challenge: 
Series Starting In 2013 -- Completed  2 of 12 series
Series Started Before 2013 -- Completed of 12 series
Series Rereads -- Completed 0 of series

Why Buy the Cow Reading Challenge:
Completed 5 of 24 free books

Debut Author Reading Challenge:
Completed 1 of 12 YA/MG debuts

Immortals Reading Challenge:
Completed 13 of 20 books

Paranormal Reading Challenge:
Completed 7 of 12 categories

Dystopia Reading Challenge:
Completed 4 of 13 dystopian reads

8 comments:

  1. All that in a WEEK? I'm seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked myself when I started calculating everything. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I am a bit behind the DAC as well. I'm not sure how many I've read so far (3 I think) but it's less than the 5 I should be at. Oh well.

    So, would you recommend the Spindle Cove series by Tessa Dare? I haven't read anything by Dare, but I've heard really great things about her books. I don't read as many adult romances as I used to, but I have a very soft spot for historical romances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend the Spindle Cove books. I think I've given all three full-length books 4.5 or 5 stars which is rare for me. Tessa Dare is an amazing writer and has some really unique story ideas. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  3. I was so excited when I saw that Drop Dead Demons finally had a cover and title and synopsis! I loved Demons At Deadnight! Aaahhh, I can't wait to read it! (You can't tell I'm excited, can you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I finished Demons at Deadnight within a day and was so disappointed there was nothing about the sequel. I loved those funny Hex Boys! Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a good week of reading. I also liked Beauty and the Blacksmith as well. I love Dare's style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa Dare is amazing, isn't she? One of my favorite parts of Beauty and the Blacksmith was the excerpt for her newest full-length novel, Any Duchess Will Do. Sounds soooo good! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.