Wednesday, May 8, 2013

REVIEW: "Neanderthal Seeks Human: A Smart Romance" by Penny Reid


Neanderthal Seeks Human: A Smart Romance (Knitting in the City, #1)
Neanderthal Seeks Human: A Smart Romance by Penny Reid
(Knitting in the City #1)

Goodreads -- Amazon
For Ages 18+
Contemporary Romance
Caped Publishing -- March 13, 2013
Ebook, 400 pages
Purchased from Amazon

SUMMARY
There are three things you need to know about Janie Morris: 1) She is incapable of engaging in a conversation without volunteering TMTI (Too Much Trivial Information), especially when she is unnerved, 2) No one unnerves her more than Quinn Sullivan, and 3) She doesn't know how to knit.

After losing her boyfriend, apartment, and job in the same day, Janie Morris can't help wondering what new torment fate has in store. To her utter mortification, Quinn Sullivan- aka Sir McHotpants- witnesses it all then keeps turning up like a pair of shoes you lust after but can't afford. The last thing she expects is for Quinn- the focus of her slightly, albeit harmless, stalkerish tendencies- to make her an offer she can't refuse.

FIRST LINE
I lost it in the bathroom.

MY THOUGHTS
While I enjoy drama as much as the next reader, there are times when I just want a book that is light and funny.  That is why I was so excited to learn about Neanderthal Seeks Human from some of my favorite book bloggers.  And they were so right about this one...it was hilarious from beginning to end and had a great love story to boot.

My absolute favorite part about this book was the heroine, Janie, who was a piece of work!  She is smart, stubborn, and has a quirky way of looking at the world.  Most girls who lost everything (apartment, job, boyfriend) in one day would spend their days moping and crying, not Janie.  She drools over her building's security guard "Sr. McHotpants" and gets back into the workforce pretty quickly.  I loved all the bits of trivia she spouts off when uncomfortable along with her sexy shoe obsession.  For me, Janie was a mixture of some of my favorite contemporary heroines: Bridget Jones, Heather Wells, and Georgia Nicolson with a bit of Amy Farrah Fowler (Big Bang Theory) thrown in.

The hero of Neanderthal Seeks Human is Sir McHotpants himself, Quinn Sullivan, who meets Janie when he helps her after she is fired from her current job.  Quinn is a sexy, intelligent hero that is attracted to Janie's off-the-wall personality from the very beginning.  I love it when guys are intrigued by a heroine's unique personality traits especially when they have to spend much of the book convincing her that is attracted to those parts of her character.  He did have some moments of super-alpha hero that got on my nerves with the whole protection aspect, but these were few and far between.

The relationship between Quinn and Janie was full of comedy especially with their tendency to try to out do one another on the random trivia facts.  They were physically attracted to each other from the beginning, but they got into a pattern of talking about anything and everything which increased the romantic aspect.  There was a major misunderstanding on the part of Janie in regards to Quinn's real job and I think that storyline went on a bit too long, but it was entertaining at times.

I also enjoyed the friendships between Janie and the rest of her knitting club.  I loved the concept of the club which included smart, funny women who knew very little about knitting, but a lot about wine and gossip.  You don't see many well-written female friends in romance nowadays and I thought this was a very refreshing aspect of the book.  I can't wait to see which lady gets a story next though I am hoping it is Janie's doctor roommate, Elizabeth.

Most of the plot of Neanderthal Seeks Human is character-driven with the development of Quinn and Janie's relationship taking center stage.  There was a bit of external drama at the end that I think could have been either cut out or written better since it was a little clunky after all the humor throughout the rest of the book.  For a self-published author, I was really impressed with Penny Reid's writing style and hope we get see more of her work in the near future.

***4 STARS***

FAVORITE QUOTES
She said I owned the clothes of a radiologist and the shoes of an OBGYN; which is like the medical doctor equivalent of saying that I dressed like a librarian with a propensity for fuck-me-boots.

AUTHOR INFORMATION

1 comment:

  1. I agree! This book had me rolling around braying like a donkey. Janie is a hoot! But just for the record, I kind of like the word moist. Slacks can go though.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.