Tuesday, April 30, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Words or Topics that Attract Me to a Book


Hosted by the ladies at The Broke and Bookish.

TOP TEN WORDS/TOPICS THAT ATTRACT ME TO A BOOK

1. Unrequited Love (Preferably on the Hero's Side)
This is my number one favorite plot line in literature!  There is just something about a hero being in love with another for an extended period of time and, hopefully, getting the chance to show their feelings at some point.

As You Desire (Braxton, #1)   Secret Desires of a Gentleman (Girl Bachelors, #3)  Games of Command  Play of Passion (Psy-Changeling, #9)



2. Virgin Hero
I usually seek out romances with virgin heroes mostly because of how unique it is.  There is usually a reason behind the hero's virginity and I like seeing how authors handle the situation.

Outlander (Outlander, #1)   Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10)  Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3)  Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3)



3. Retelling of Classics
I am a retellings junkie...ever since I discovered Jane Austen fanfiction when I was in high school.  I will read almost any type of retelling whether fairy tale, classic literature, or mythology.

For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)  Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)  The Proposition  An Affair to Remember (Talisman Ring #1)


4. Demons
Everyone has their favorite supernatural character and, while I love my fair share of vampires and werewolves, I am always going to pass them over for some sexy demons.  I think the worldbuilding potential is huge and I always like to see how authors handle the morality aspect of being a demon.

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1)  The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld,  #3)  A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)  First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)

5. Sports
I am a huge sports fanatic so it should come as no surprise that I gravitate towards romances set in the sports world.  I am not picky about which sport...I just want some type of athlete involved.


It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)  See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)  Tigers and Devils (Tigers and Devils #1)  Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes


6. Unusual Settings
While I love Regency-era England and small town America just as much as the next reader, I do sit up and pay attention when a book comes out that takes place somewhere different.  It can be an unusual time period or unusual place, I'm not picky.


The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)  Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)  How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1)  Not Quite a Husband


7. Opposites Attract
Romances were the hero and heroine (or hero and hero) are on completely different ends of the personality spectrum always sound like so much fun for me.  There is just something entertaining about these two people trying to deal with their differences and fall in love at the same time.

Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)  Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2)  Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2) Between Sinners and Saints


8. Librarians, Teachers, Booksellers, etc.
I am a trained teacher and librarian so I am always on the lookout for books with characters in these professions.  I do try not nitpick the little details associated with the professions so it just makes the reading fun and relatable for me.


Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1)  Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)  A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)  Beauty Like the Night (Rutledge Family, #1)

9. Beta Heroes
I love alphas, but there is nothing that grabs my heart like these guys.  Who doesn't love hero who is genuinely nice guy that may get overlooked at times, but is always there for the heroine?

My Life Next Door  Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)  Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)  Morning Glory

10. Male Narrators
This is a topic that I don't see enough in literature, both YA and adult.  I love it when authors write from the male perspective and actively seek these books out.


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian  Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1)  The Iron Knight (Iron Fey, #4)  Breathing Underwater


WHAT WORDS AND TOPICS ATTRACT YOU TO A BOOK?  DO YOU HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ME BASED ON MY LIST?  

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE sports in books! I love Beta boys too, there is nothing wrong with being sweet :)

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely nothing wrong with sweet guys! And yeah for another sports fan! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. You're reminding me that I need to read A Discovery of Witches. I have it sitting near at hand, waiting for me to finish my current read.

    I also enjoy retellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good...takes time to get through because of the amount of detail, but definitely worth it by the end. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Also love re-tellings of classics. I love to see how the author puts a spin on it, but still keeping to the original story.
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/04/top-ten-tuesday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the reasons I love retellings too...nice to see new twists on old plots. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I love retellings of classics :D

    My Top Ten

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo many great topics are listed here! I actually just read a YA romance (Dare You To) and the hero was a virgin.

    I don't think I've read any other ones, though.

    And I love the Alpha Males sometimes, but I also love the Betas. Especially if it is Colin Bridgerton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to read Dare You To...I loved Pushing the Limits and can't wait to read more about Beth. Colin Bridgerton is one of my favorite betas in romance too!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.