Tuesday, April 23, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books I Thought I'd Like More or Less Than I Did


Hosted by the ladies at The Broke and Bookish.


TOP TEN BOOKS I THOUGHT I'D LIKE MORE OR LESS THAN I DID

Wonderful Surprises...

1. Cut & Run series by Abigail Roux
I'm not a huge fan of romantic suspense, but I kept hearing about how awesome Ty and Zane were together.  So I took a gamble and read the first book.  Then, before I knew it, I had completed all the currently published books (four at the time) and was eagerly awaiting the next one.

2. Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan
I am also not a fan of horror...I'm a big baby about blood and gore.  But, there was something intriguing about the blurb for Jenny Pox since it reminded me of my favorite comic book character, Rogue from X-Men.  While there were parts that made me cringe in this book and its sequels, I still found the characters and plot fascinating.

3. Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
I have been obsessed with vampires for a very long time and most of my favorites have come from the adult side of the bookstore.  That is part of the reason for my dislike of Twilight because I like my vampires violent and dark...not sparkly.  So I was really hesitant about trying out another YA vampires series.  But, thankfully, Richelle Mead provided a kick-ass set of books with richly developed characters, a steamy teen romance, and some amazing worldbuilding.

4. The Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I wasn't sure about this series because of the similarities to Vampire Academy that I saw in reviews and in blurbs.  But, I love Greek mythology and decided to give it a try.  While Half-Blood doesn't break new ground in the world of YA paranormal/fantasy, its sequels take the series to a whole new level of fun and suspense.

5. Painted Faces by L.H. Cosway
This is a contemporary romance about a straight drag queen and his assistant.  That distinction both caught my eye and made me hesitate, but I am really glad I went ahead and read it because it was refreshing and sexy.

Was Disappointed By...
 
6. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
As I mentioned in the Vampire Academy blurb, I am a huge vampire fan so I was excited to see this one get so much publicity.  But, like I said, I was disappointed by the worldbuilding, the bland characters, and the melodramatic romance.  Just not for me!

7. Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
This seemed like the perfect book for me...Robin Hood, a girl disguised as a boy, historical setting, etc.  But, I just couldn't get into it.  I found myself bored and flipping pages to get to some action.  I may try it someday in the future...or not.

8. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Full disclosure: I have not seen True Blood, but all the hype around it caught my interest and I decided to try the books.  Unfortunately, Sookie annoyed me from the moment I started and I had to give up halfway through.  I love urban fantasy, but that one just wasn't for me.

9. Jinx by Meg Cabot
For the record, I absolutely adore Meg Cabot!  Her books were some of my favorites in high school and I continue to anxiously await her newest release (regardless of genre).  It is really hard for me to figure out why I disliked Jinx.  I'm hoping that it may have had something to do with me rather than the actual story.

10. Your Scandalous Ways by Loretta Chase 
Another book by a favorite author that I just couldn't finish.  Both the hero and the heroine of this one got on my nerves though I did love the Venetian setting.



8 comments:

  1. Vampire Academy is on my list as well and Scarlet and Jinx almost made it too.. Actually Scarlet may still be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Jenny Pox on my TBR, so it's nice to know it was a good surprise for you!

    Here's my TTT post for this week. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to read Jenny Pox for the longest time now. Every time I want to read it I forget the name, so I can't buy it.
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/04/top-ten-tuesday-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nearly had heart failure then, I thought you were gonna say Scarlet by Marissa Meyer haha. Fiew. Different book :P.
    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Definitely not the Marissa Meyer Scarlet...that has been one of my favorites so far this year. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I knew I'd missed a major book on my "thought I'd like it more" list! My sister loved Twilight and gave it to me for Christmas. I didn't really like it, which left me (and still does) decidedly in the minority. It's not just that I don't usually like vampires -- I loved A Discovery of Witches, after all. The whole Edward-Bella relationship bothered me. Who stands watching their girlfriend's window all night? (A stalker, that's who.) Nope, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had similar issues with Twilight...stalkers are not romantic. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Jinx definitely isn't my favorite Meg Cabot either. I didn't absolutely hate it, but I didn't love it. Meg Cabot is one of my favorite authors, but every book can't be homeruns, right?

    Also, I seriously need to read VA and The Covenant series.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.