Thursday, March 7, 2013

REVIEW: "Body and Soul" by Stacey Kade


Body & Soul (The Ghost and the Goth, #3)
Body and Soul by Stacey Kade
(The Ghost and the Goth #3)

For Ages 13+
Young Adult --  Paranormal
Hyperion -- May 1, 2012
Hardback, 316 pages
Borrowed from library

SUMMARY
The Ghost
I’ve been trapped in the body of Lily “Ally” Turner for a month now. Talk about a fashion crisis on an epic scale. What worries me more, though, is sometimes I catch Will looking at me like he thinks I’m Lily...or that he wishes I were. Without the good looks of my former self, I don’t know who I am, or if who that is is good enough. I need out of this mess...now.

Will and I have been looking for a solution, one that would separate me from Lily without killing her. But it’s not going well. Then, when it seems like things couldn’t get any worse, we run into Misty, my former best friend and boyfriend-stealer extraordinaire, who claims she’s being haunted...by me. Seriously?  I’m determined to get to the bottom of who’s pretending to be the spirit of Alona Dare (while I’m pretending to be someone else) and then get the heck out of this body. Or die trying...

The Goth

I’ll admit it. It’s really weird to look at Alona but see Lily. I do know the difference, though, contrary to what Alona might be saying. And Alona is more than a pretty face to me, not that she would believe that.

Our one lead for some help in this messed up situation might be a page torn from the yellow pages-—the “Psychics” section-—I found in my dad’s stuff. One of the “fakes” seems a bit more real-—and odd-—than the others. Before I can investigate further, though, Alona is off and chasing a ghost that’s probably nothing more than a figment of Misty’s guilty imagination.  
Now Lily’s family is freaking out because she didn’t come home, my mom is ordering me to stay out of it, and something is definitely wrong with the person formerly known as Lily “Ally” Turner...

FIRST LINE
Malachi the Magnificent, Consultant to the Stars, had a storefront in a dingy, rundown strip mall between a sketchy-looking Laundromat and a closed-up nail salon with a big, bright orange health department sticker plastered on its door.

MY THOUGHTS
Warning!  This review is for the third book in a trilogy so it may contain minor spoilers for earlier books.  

Well, that was a great ending!  I have really enjoyed reading this YA paranormal trilogy and, while I'm sad to see it come to a close, I am thankful that it went out with a bang.  In a world where series have a tendency to get overly long, I admire an author who sticks with their initial storyline because I could easily have seen this one going on for more books.

Like the first two books, Body and Soul is written in the dual point of view style.  Alona, the cheerleader turned ghost, and Will, the ghost-talker, help tell the story through their own unique lenses.  And they continue to be great characters!  I love the way both of them have developed over the course of the series.  Specifically, I appreciated Alona learning to adjust to her new situation in Lily's body and how she showed her maturity in her handling of Lily's family.  And Will showed just how confident he has become with his abilities and in other parts of his life.  

The romance between Alona and Will is one of the main focuses of this book and it is wonderful to see all the careful development come to a climax.  These two really seem to understand one another despite their obvious differences and show this to readers, and each other, in a variety of ways.  Their situation at the end of the series is a little unorthodox, but I think it works for these two and the crazy way they got together in the first place.

We get to see a combination of old favorites and newbies when it comes to side characters.  The plot allows Alona and Will to revisit some aspects of the beginning of the series which I thought was fun and inventive.  Readers get to see the reemergence of Misty and Chris which adds an interesting wrinkle.  There also continue to be new characters appearing who help flesh out the ghost community and what the ghost-talker's purpose is.  Self-proclaimed psychic Malachi and his ghostly companion Erin were intriguing additions and I really liked how their story played out.

The plot of Body and Soul is like the others in the series with its balance between light and dark.  The comedy is still prevalent as would it would be in any story that included Alona's snark and Will's bad luck.  But, there are also some deep philosophical questions brought about, mostly dealing with the reason for Alona to continue being a ghost and what Will's role should be when it comes to his abilities.  Mostly this book only scratches the surface with these discussions, but it does it just enough to make me, and hopefully other readers, think after finishing.

I highly recommend this book if you are a fan of the earlier ones in the series.  I recommend the series for readers who enjoy a nice dose of comedy with their supernatural drama.  Also, if you want an opposites attract romance, you can't go wrong with Alona Dare and Will Killian.


***4.5 Stars***


FAVORITE QUOTES
"It’s called a near-death experience. You should try it sometime," I said sweetly. "Maybe without the ‘near'." --Alona

"Would Alona be gone before I even got a chance to say good-bye? A real good-bye? One last kiss and the chance to tell her that she’d made my life better even as she’d made me crazy? That we were better together than I would ever be by myself, but that because of her, I would be okay? Not great, but okay, and I owed that all to her? No. I needed to see her one last time." --Will

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
The Ghost and the Goth
Queen of the Dead
Body and Soul

LINKS
AUTHOR LINKS
Website
Twitter
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. This is on my to-read list. It's sort of funny. I didn't expect to like the series so much, but it just won me over.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.