Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, February 19, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Favorite YA Characters




Sponsored by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.



TOP TEN FAVORITE CHARACTERS IN YOUNG ADULT FICTION

~HEROINES~

1. Hermione Granger -- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
My all-time favorite literary character and the biggest role model during my teenaged years. Hermione was everything I wanted to be with her intelligence, sense of right and wrong, and patience with her two crazy best friends. One of the best parts of the series, for me, was watching this little bookworm grow up to be a confident, successful witch who still loves Hogwarts: A History.


2. Haruhi Fujioka -- Ouran High School Host Club series by Bisco Hatori
Haruhi is an interesting character from one of my favorite manga series. She is a scholarship student at a prestigious, private high school in Japan who is mistaken for a boy and invited to join the Ouran High School Host Club. This club is made up of the handsomest boys at the school who spend their time acting as "hosts" for female guests. I love Haruhi's studious nature and how she uses that to deal with all the crazy antics that her fellow students get into during club hours.

 3. Sydney Sage -- Vampire Academy/Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead 
I know Sydney was not a fan favorite during her early appearances in the VA series, but I immediately connected with her. That is one reason I am enjoying the Bloodlines series so much since it focuses on Sydney and her attempts to balance her Alchemist beliefs with her new friendships with Moroi and dhampirs.



4. Mary Quinn -- The Agency series by Y.S. Lee
Mary is a former thief during spy in Victorian London. She specializes in going undercover to solve mysteries. Some of the disguises she has used are a house maid, a lady's companion, and a bricklayer's assistant at a building site. Mary's ability to become a different person is fascinating as is her struggle to keep her job separate from her real life.

5. Cinder Linh -- Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa MeyerA cyborg who I would describe as being a combination of Cinderella, Sailor Moon, and Arya Stark. She is a mechanic with a mysterious past and a neglectful family who catches the attention of the prince and the evil queen who is trying to take over the planet.

~HEROES~

1. Adrian Ivashkov -- Vampire Academy/Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead
A sexy, but arrogant Moroi who fans first meet in the VA series when he tries to woo protagonist Rose from Dimitri. As the series progressed, readers began to see behind the handsome features into the chaotic and lonely persona of Adrian. The Bloodlines series allows him to become center stage along with Alchemist Sydney and some other side characters.


2. Peeta Mellark -- Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
The famous "boy with the bread" stole my heart from the moment I met him in the first book. I was intrigued by the strong baker's son who managed to figure out the best way to survive the Games while still developing a relationship with the girl he's always adored. The trials he had to deal with throughout the trilogy made me an even stronger and more admirable character than I could have expected.

3. Owen Armstrong -- Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Owen is a music addict who recently finished anger management classes and has some very defined opinions about life. His ability to see into people's psyches (especially reserved Annabel) was really intriguing and I loved all his little philosophical quirks.


4. Ash -- Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
The blue-eyed younger son of Mab, the Unseelie Queen, who fell in love with the half-fey Meghan. His protective nature and snarky sense of humor always made me smile while his inner struggles made me cry. Ash had a very long and harrowing journey in this series and he came out of it as one of my favorite YA heroes ever.


5. Dimitri Belikov -- Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
I couldn't not put the illustrious Russian "god" on this list despite the fact that I already mentioned his rival, Adrian. I wasn't sure what the fuss about Dimitri was at the beginning of the series, but his actions and silent adoration for Rose quickly won me over. Like many of these others, he had a lot of drama to deal with and the fact that he was able to get through it was one of the highlights of the series.


~HONORABLE MENTIONS~

Daemon Black -- Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Katniss Everdeen -- Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Valek -- Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Luna Lovegood -- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
Logan Quinn -- Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep

13 comments:

  1. Great list. I've read most of the books and they are all awesome. And I agree with everything you said about Cinder :)
    old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/02/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-paranormal.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinder is such an awesome and admirable heroine that I had to mention her. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I love your list :D Mead's boys and girls: YES!!! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydney Sage and Adrian Ivashkov! One of the only couples I ship - but even more than that. I love how they're great characters on their own. Fantastic list!!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! Sydney and Adrian are great individual characters as well as being a great couple. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Great list! I have Hermione and Cinder on my list too :) I definitely agree about Hermione being a role model when I was younger. I grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione and definitely saw similarities between myself and her (except the witch thing of course :P)

    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/top-ten-favourite-ya-female-characters.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hermione and I were a lot alike as well including some not-so-nice aspects. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. love the list! hermione was one of my heroes, too. always reading and studying, but stubbornly brave- love her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I've been seeing Cinder and Hermione alot in these lists :D

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    Pls also consider listing your blog on YA Blogosphere it's a directory listing for all YA-related blogs. Pls email me on yablogosphere@gmail.com if your interested.

    Have a lovely week :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously Hermione! Definitely one of the best heroines ever! I think so many people could identify with her.

    And Cinder! Oh my gosh, I love her!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.