Tuesday, February 12, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Favorite Romances

Sponsored by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.



TOP TEN FAVORITE ROMANCES

1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The beginning of an epic historical fiction series about a WWII-era nurse who time travels back to 18th century Scotland.  Claire and Jamie are an amazing couple and their trials put almost every other couple to shame.

Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.


2. Persuasion by Jane Austen
This is, by far, my favorite Austen book though I love them all.  There is just something about Wentworth and Anne that grabs my heart and doesn't let it go until I get to that famous letter.  I have read it more times than I can count.

You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you.


3. The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn
For me, this is a great example about how to write chemistry between a hero and heroine.  Anthony and Kate are fabulous characters in their own right and they just work so well together.  I, of course, enjoyed the hate-to-love aspect of the romance and the swoon-worthy ending.

Love's about finding the one person who makes your heart complete. Who makes you a better person than you ever dreamed you could be. Its about looking in the eyes of your wife and knowing all the way to your bones that she's simply the best person you've ever known.

4. Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
A contemporary between a slick sports agent and a scatterbrained matchmaker that made me laugh and cry.  I have enjoyed almost all of SEP's books, but there was something about this one that just stuck.  Of course, it also helps that it brings back great memories of my obsession with Jerry McGuire.

You're beautiful, every part of you. I love your hair, the way it looks, the way it feels. I love touching it, smelling it. I love the way you wrinkle your nose when you laugh. It makes me laugh, too, every time. And I love watching you eat. Sometimes you can't shovel it in fast enough, but when you get interested in a conversation, you forget there's anything in front of you. God knows, I love making love with you. I can't even talk about that without wanting you. I love your pathetic attachment to those seniors. I love how hard you work.

5. Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
This is the book that is known in the romance community as one of the best ever written.  I'm not sure if I would go that far with the praise, but it is an amazing love story.  Both characters are hilarious and original while the romance is swoon-worthy without being cheesy.

"Jessica, you are a pain in the arse, do you know that? If I were not so immensely fond of you, I should throw you out the window."
She wrapped her arms about his waist and laid her head against his chest. "Not merely 'fond,' but 'immensely fond.' Oh Dain, I do believe I shall swoon."
"Not now," he said crossly. "I haven't time to pick you up."

6. Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper
A hilarious paranormal romance with a Civil War-era vampire and a former children's librarian who is turned after an unfortunate experience with a shotgun.  I love couples that make each other laugh and keep each other on their toes which is exactly what happens with Gabriel and Jane.


"The ring is a copy of my mother’s. I took the stone from her engagement ring and had a jeweler place it in a titanium setting."

"Titanium?" I asked.

"Dick knew a guy."

"Of course he did."

"You’re a bit rough and tumble with jewelry, and I knew it would have to be able to stand up to…"

"Nuclear winter?"
His eyebrow lifted, "I never know with you."

7. Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost
My favorite paranormal couple is, by far, Cat and Bones so I had to list their series.  There is almost nothing I dislike about their relationship with the humor, the spiciness, and all the drama.  Who knew that a vampire bounty hunter and a half-vampire could be so romantic?

Time has no dominion over love. Love is the one thing that transcends time.

8. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
This book only came out last year, but it has already made a big impression on me and alot of other readers.  Hazel and Augustus's story is full of romance, inspiration, and heartache and I highly recommend it to readers of all ages.

I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you. 

 9. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Another sweet YA romance that took me completely by surprise.  It has its cheesy moments, but I was blown away by the writing and how realistic the development of the romance was.  Anna and Etienne have really stuck with me over the years and that, to me, is the sign of a great romance.

For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.

10. Strawberries for Dessert by Marie Sexton
A male/male romance that really shocked me with how much I loved it.  I became completely enamored with Cole and Jonathon and found myself rooting for them from the very beginning.  The contrast of their personalities and backgrounds was really well-done while the chemistry was indescribable.

He put his arms around my neck and brushed his lips over mine.  "I've been waiting for you for ages, love," he said.  "I'd almost given up.  What on earth took you so long?"

9 comments:

  1. Outlander was my first thought, too :) And Persuasion! My favourite Jane Austen by far. Nice list!

    My TTT is here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Captain Wentworth! I wanted to put his relationship with Anne Elliot onto my list but I ran out of room! I loved Persuasion and the BBC adaptation of it is amazing. Great list, love the quotes :)

    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/top-ten-favourite-romances.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Anna and the French Kiss. It gave me butterflies and it was great to "see" them again in "Lola".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read Anna and the French Kiss and The Fault in our Stars! I love a good romance! Great list.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I turned to goo when I read the quote from Persuasion. I need to read that book now.
    Old fololwer
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/02/top-ten-tuesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love TFiOS!!! It's my favorite book! Hazel and Augustus are just so amazing. :)
    New follower!

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane Austen and Julia Quinn made my list to..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh Hazel and Augustus! Anna and Etienne! Anne and Captain Wentworth! Great picks, Jennifer, I really enjoyed all the quotes you used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love The Viscount Who Loved Me. Anthony is so swoonworthy. And Kate is a wonderful main character. I loved the whole Pall Mall thing. Well, I think every loved that bit :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.