Monday, February 4, 2013

BEST READS OF...January 2013


Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
(Across the Universe #3)
by Beth Revis

Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience.

But this new Earth isn't the paradise Amy had been hoping for. There are giant pterodactyl-like birds, purple flowers with mind-numbing toxins, and mysterious, unexplained ruins that hold more secrets than their stone walls first let on. The biggest secret of all? Godspeed's former passengers aren't alone on this planet. And if they're going to stay, they'll have to fight.

Amy and Elder must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. They will have to look inward to the very core of what makes them human on this, their most harrowing journey yet. Because if the colony collapses? Then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been for nothing.

WHY: This is the conclusion to the amazing Across the Universe trilogy and it met all my expectations!  I was not a huge fan of science fiction before this series, but now I seek these types of books out.  I definitely recommend it for fans of complex worldbuilding, sweet teen romance that doesn't involve insta-love, and tons of suspense.  You can read my full review here.


(London Steampunk #1)
by Bec McMaster

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single-handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood-craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When Honoria shows up at his door, his tenuous control comes close to snapping. She's so...innocent. He doesn't see her backbone of steel—or that she could be the very salvation he's been seeking.

WHY: Steampunk is a genre that I am slowly becoming obsessed with and Kiss of Steel confirms that love.  Honoria is a fabulous and admirable heroine while Blade is definitely book boyfriend materials.  The world that McMaster created is detailed and engrossing while the side characters provide great background for the main storyline.  You can read my full review here.


Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4)
CRIMSON FROST
(Mythos Academy #4)
by Jennifer Estep

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself.

WHY: Anybody who has read my blog and has probably figured out that I am a huge fan of the Mythos Academy books.  So it should not come as a surprise that I adored the fourth installment in the series.  I love the way that Estep has her characters (especially Gwen) growing as people and warriors.  Plus the world is becoming more complex and dangerous as the series moves along.  You can read my full review here.

1 comment:

  1. Shades of Earth sound good!!! Looks like some good ones here!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.