Tuesday, January 8, 2013

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Bookish Goals for 2013

Sponsored by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.



TOP TEN BOOKISH GOALS FOR 2013


1. Get a job as a librarian!I recently graduated with my Masters in Library of Science and I am currently job hunting. So my number one goal (and it is associated with books) is to get a librarian job.

2. Read 250 books or more.I read 226 books in 2012 and I hope to increase that number especially now that I am all done with school.

3. Decrease the size of my TBR shelf.This goal is primarily for paper books since my shelf is beginning to overflow. In order to achieve this goal, I have created a personal challenge called Project TBR. Information about it can be found here.

4. Be more selective with the books that I accept for review.I have such a hard time saying no to authors or publishers who want me to read their books. Unfortunately, that lead me to having too many to get through which isn't fair to anybody. So I am going to try to be much more selective about the books I request.

5. Write more reviews.I have been getting better at writing reviews over the past year and a half so I want to continue that trend. I know I won't be able to write reviews for all the books I read, but I want to make an effort to do at least two or three a week.

6. Go beyond my comfort zone in terms of reading material.I feel like I have varied reading tastes, but I would like to expand them even more. I do sometimes get in a reading rut and adding unique materials may help me avoid them.

7. Catch up on all the series that I've started over the years.I have been very bad about starting series (and enjoying them), but avoiding finishing them or catching up with them for one reason or another. To help me obtain this goal, I have joined the Seriously Series Reading Challenge which can be found here.

8. Successfully complete all the reading challenges I've joined this year.I did pretty well with the reading challenges I joined for 2012 besides one. So far, I have joined six challenges and my goal is to be successful at all of them. A list of my 2013 challenges can be found here.

9. Attend an author signing/event.I have never attended a bookish event such as an author signing and I've always wanted to. So I am going to try to make an effort to find one near my hometown. I live in Kentucky if anybody knows of some good ones I can try.

10. Continue blogging and making new blogger friends. Book blogging has been a great adventure for me during the last year and a half and I just hope to keep going with it. I have met many bookish friends and I hope to keep these going while finding new ones.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting your MLS! I love being a librarian. I'm a children's librarian working in a public library, and there are certain things that I don't love doing (but that goes with every job), but it is the perfect occupation for me.

    Good luck job hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to be a children or teen librarian! I've been on a few interviews and even gotten some call-backs. Now, I'm just doing the waiting game on one that I think I have a good shot at, but I'm trying to keep my excitement down.

      Delete
  2. Best of luck getting a job! I know how hard it can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm just trying to stay positive about the whole situation.

      Delete
  3. #1is a great one! I wish I could get a bookish job :) I need to lbog more and connect with bloggers too! Good luck! :)

    My Goals for 2013
    Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your job hunt! I hope you find a great librarian job soon. I have joined two reading challenges this year, so I'm hoping I can stick to them. And #7 is definitely one I should think about - there are quite a few series that I've just never got round to finishing!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.