Saturday, January 19, 2013

REVIEW: "The Ghost and the Goth" by Stacey Kade

The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade
(Ghost and the Goth #1)

Young Adult -- Paranormal/Romance
For Ages 13+
Steam Level: Kisses

Hyperion -- June 29, 2013
Ebook, 281 pages

Rating: 4 Stars




SUMMARY

Alona Dare–Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead.

I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all-good looks, silky blond hair, a hot bod, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks—is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes—watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?

Will Killian–Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank…and a ghost-talker.
I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost—an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around—is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?

MY THOUGHTS
 
While I enjoy dark, disturbing paranormal books, sometimes I am glad to find something a little more light-hearted.  That is exactly what The Ghost and the Goth is to me.  It is a very cute and entertaining YA ghost story that I enjoyed much more than I expected.   

There are two protagonists in this book and they are both center stage thanks to alternating points of view.  First, you meet Alona who is the ultimate mean girl of her high school.  She is pretty, popular, and obsessed with image.  Things go awry for Alona when she is run over by a bus and discovers that she has become a ghost.  This brings in Will, a loner, who just wants to graduate and leave high school forever.  His inherited skills at seeing and talking to ghosts, like the newly deceased Alona, have resulted in his introverted and paranoid nature.

I really liked both of these character...to my utmost surprise when it came to Alona.  The author does a great job of portraying each person's unique voice and helping readers understand why each one of them acts the way that they do.  What was also nice was that both Will and Alona develop as people throughout the book rather than staying the cliches that they are associated with at the beginning.

I also love opposites attract romances so the relationship between Will and Alona is really fascinating for me.  They get on each others' nerves especially at the start, but they slowly start to realize how much they have in common and that each of them as something they can learn from the other.  It is so much fun when characters start to discover new things about people they've known for years and that is definitely what happens in this book.

Another thing I loved about this book was the sense of humor.  While there are some dark themes in the story, the comedy keeps everything pretty light and fun.  Will is very dry and comes up with some of the funniest observations about the world around him.  And Alona cracked me up with almost every page with her snarky, and sometimes mean, quips regarding her situation and her former classmates.

Overall, I really enjoyed this ghost story.  The paranormal aspect is interesting and I'm excited to see where the author goes with it in the future especially with the events that happened at the end.  If you are looking for a supernatural romance that doesn't take itself too seriously, I recommend you try The Ghost and the Goth.


SERIES INFORMATION

Ghost and the Goth Trilogy
1. The Ghost and the Goth
2. Queen of the Dead
3. Body and Soul

SIMILAR TITLES

Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins
Demons at Deadnight by A&E Kirk
Paranormalcy by Kiersten White



SOUNDTRACK IDEAS

Fences -- Paramore
**Alona's theme song that encompasses both her life in high school and as a ghost.


Hello -- Evanescence
**Alona's feelings and thoughts while walking through her high school as a ghost.


Save Me -- Remy Zero
**Will's feelings regarding his powers and the mysterious spirit chasing him.

BOOK CHALLENGE ENTRY





4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this one! I'm a huge fan of ghosts and while I like the dark ones it's nice to read the light and funny ones too. I hope you get to the other books. They are still funny, but a bit darker (if that makes any sense).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been on the library waiting list for Queen of the Dead for almost a month and it is driving me insane! I want to know what happens! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I've had this on my wishlist for ages, but never bothered to actually grab it... (I also hadn't read any reviews either...) But now I think I will! I could use a good funny read - and it's been awhile since I've ventured to the paranormal!

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it on my wishlist too and wasn't sure how I would feel about. Thankfully I fell in love with it and hope to read the second book soon. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.