Sunday, January 13, 2013

DEJA-VU REVIEW (1): Book with an Awesome Cover


DJVR

Hosted by The Book Addict's Guide.  A feature that allows bloggers to write mini-reviews of books that they read before blogging or books that they never got around to reviewing.

The ReplacementThe Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Summary: Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.


Review: This is an example of a book that I bought from the bookstore based on the cover alone.  It was just so creepy that I had to read it.  And thankfully it was amazing!  I loved the concept of the main character being a supernatural replacement for a human baby.  I also really learned to care about Mackie and worried  about how things would end up with him.  The worldbuilding is very well-developed and its originality was really interesting.  In addition to all of these, I found it refreshing that this was a stand-alone book and not any part of a series.

4 comments:

  1. Agree about the cover, as it's very eye catching! I enjoyed this one too, and really liked Mackie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a creepy cover!!! I just read Paper Valentine and it was super interesting so I'd definitely like to read more from Brenna Yovanoff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very creepy cover! You've certainly intrigued me about this book. May have to check it out. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED The Replacement too!
    Great mini review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.