Wednesday, January 2, 2013

BEST READS OF...December 2012


(Brothers Sinister #1)
by Courtney Milan

Sometimes love is an accident.

This time, it’s a strategy.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.


But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match.

WHY: I am an obsessive Courtney Milan fangirl and The Duchess War didn't do anything to change that.  I love the way that Ms. Milan slowly reveals her character's pasts and provides readers with a satisfying albeit slow-burning romance.  If you are a fan of unconventional heroes and heroines and plots that go beyond the stereotypical, you should definitely try one of Ms. Milan's historical romances.  My full review can be found here.



(Lux #1)
by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.


And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

WHY: I was introduced to Ms. Armentrout through her popular Covenant series, but this one completely blew me away.  Science fiction is one of those genres that I have always enjoyed despite the fact that it isn't as popular with YA authors.  Katy is a great, relatable heroine (who is a book blogger herself!) while Daemon is a great combination of jerk and sweetheart.  The entire alien plotline is intriguing and provides enough suspense to keep me interested in the future of the series.
(Study #1)
by Maria V. Snyder


Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison...

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear.



WHY: This is one of those books that has been on my TBR pile for awhile and I am so mad that it took me so long to read it.  Ms. Snyder gives readers a very suspenseful plot with the heroine being a food taster for a powerful government official.  Danger is a permanent feeling throughout this book yet Yelena rarely lets it get in her way.  Plus the slow-burning romance between Yelena and the kingdom assassin Valek is wonderful to read and experience.

4 comments:

  1. Not yet having read Obsidian is absolutely driving me NUTS! >_< Great picks!! I haven't read the Duchess War, but it sounds wonderful and the cover is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these awesome titles!

    Happy New Year~!
    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read anything by Courtney Milan, but I am kind of curious now. That one seems really interesting.

    I really liked Obsidian (and the whole series) a lot. Obsidian is my fav though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hadn't heard of 'the duchess war' before but it sounds great and I love the cover! I read obsidian but haven't had time to read onyx and opal yet, and I have the whole study trilogy sat on my shelf where it's been gathering dust for years. I really need to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obsidian! Such a great book! And Daemon? *swoon*
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.