Tuesday, December 11, 2012

TOP TEN TUESDAY: 2012 New-To-Me Authors

Sponsored by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.



TOP TEN 
NEW-TO-ME AUTHORS FROM 2012


1. Molly Harper -- Jane Jameson series, Half-Moon Hollow series, Naked Werewolf series
I have devoured almost all of Ms. Harper's books this year. Her paranormal romances are a nice blend of drama and comedy that is enhanced by the work of audiobook narrator, Amanda Ronconi. Review of Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs here.

2. Y.S. Lee -- The Agency series
Ms. Lee's historical mystery series is dark, gritty, and extremely addictive. She has a style that appears almost effortless, but is well-researched and reminiscent of Charles Dickens. Plus her sarcastic wit keeps the mood from being too dark and dreary. Review of A Spy in the House here.

3. Abigail Roux -- Cut & Run series
I've seen great things about Ms. Roux's male/male romances over the past few years and I finally jumped in and became a fangirl!  She is a genius at sexual tension and humor especially when she involves her greatest creations: Ty and Zane!  Review of Cut & Run here.

4. Wendy Higgins -- Sweet trilogy
Sweet Evil was Wendy Higgins's debut title and it completely blew me away!  I loved the original premise and clear writing paired with a swoon-worthy hero and a heroine who isn't afraid to stand up for what she believes in.  I look forward to reading more of Ms. Higgins's work in 2013!  Review of Sweet Evil here.

5. Jennifer L. Armentrout -- Covenant series
Ms. Armentrout is pretty famous in the YA book blogging world and I just discovered her in the later half of 2012.  I was a little hesitant about the Covenant series because of the parallels that I saw with the Vampire Academy books.  But, I'm glad I stuck with the books because they escalated into an epic series.  I finally see why she has such a devoted following amongst book bloggers.

6. Rose Gordon -- Scandalous Sisters series, Grooms series
Rose Gordon is a self-published, historical romance writer.  What I love most about her books is the way that she breaks convention with her characters and plots.  She really excels at taking romance stereotypes and giving them a fresh twist.  Review of Liberty for Paul here.
 

7. Melina Marchetta -- Lumatere Chronicles
Melina Marchetta probably doesn't need much of an introduction, but I did just read the first two Lumatere Chronicles.  Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exiles are amazing fantasies and have inspired me to want to try Marchetta's contemporaries as well. Review of Finnikin of the Rock here.

8. Rachel Hawkins -- Hex Hall series
Another author who specializes in going beyond the cliched, post-Twilight YA plots and characters.  She is definitely not afraid to push the envelope which I really admire in an author. Review of Hex Hall here.

9. Jennifer Estep -- Mythos Academy series
Ms. Estep is a renowned urban fantasy writer, but I discovered her through her "new" YA endeavor.  I love the way that she uses her UF background to build the world of Mythos Academy and keep the drama going throughout the series. Review of Touch of Frost here.

10. Chloe Neill -- Chicagoland Vampires series
Chloe Neill is a famous name in UF that I just discovered this year.  Her unique twist on vampire mythology is engrossing and her description of the way the vampires are involved in everyday society is highly entertaining.  Review of Some Girls Bite here.

   

1 comment:

  1. I haven't started on any of these yet but I hope I get to pick them up soon.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.