Thursday, December 27, 2012

TOP 10 OF 2012: Day 4-Best Book Boyfriends of 2012




A fun event sponsored by the bloggers at FiktshunA Life Bound by BooksConfessions of a BookaholicTwo Chicks on a Book, and Magical Urban Fantasy Books.  Check out the introductory post here.

BEST BOOK BOYFRIENDS OF 2012


1. Adrian Ivashkov -- Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead 
A major side character who took centerstage in Mead's spin-off series to her super popular Vampire Academy books.  I was intrigued by Adrian in VA, but truly fell for him in Bloodlines and The Golden Lily.  He is arrogant, snarky, and very tortured, but still extremely lovable.


"Takes a lot of tries before you hit perfection." He paused to reconsider that. "Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try." 
--Bloodlines


2. Winter Makepeace -- Thief of Shadows by Elizabeth Hoyt
Readers met the secretive schoolmaster in the first book of the Maiden Lane series, but they never got to know him until his own book.  Winter is a rare breed...a sexy, seductive hero who also happens to be a virgin!  I loved the development of his character and how devoted he was to his students and his heroine, Isabel.  Not to mention the little matter of his secret identity...


"I'll never look at you in any way but complete admiration.” He stroked her hair soothingly. “You will never be a millstone about my neck. Rather you're the sunshine that brightens my day.” He swallowed. “Don't you see? You brought me into the daylight. You've embraced parts of me that I was never able to let see light. Don't make me retreat again into the night." 



3. Gabriel Nightengale -- Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper
While witty, klutzy Jane steals the show in this paranormal romance series, Gabriel is her stubborn, super-sexy vampire sire that strives to keep her safe during all her chaotic adventures.  Born during the middle of the 19th century, Mr. Nightengale has a very gentlemanly manner that is sometimes overtaken by his vampire nature especially when Jane is around. 


"I haven't had a lot of good, soft things in my life," he said against my forehead. "Not since my family sent me away. Apart from being your sire and feeling that pull to you, it's that goodness, that softness and warmth, along with the resolve and strength in you, that I love. Being turned hasn't taken that from you. If someone were going to design the perfect mate for me, it would be you."
 --Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men



4. Samuel Thorne -- A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare
Thorne is a solitary soldier with a mysterious past.  He is a man of few words, but his actions say plenty especially when it comes to Kate Taylor, the woman he has been pining for since childhood.  Some of my favorite scenes in this book involved Thorne opening up to Kate about his past and his true feelings for her.

"I never thought Greek philosophy could make a damn bit of sense to me. And most of it didn't, but those words just seemed right. 'Love is composed of a single soul, inhabiting two bodies.'" He took her by the shoulders drawing her close. "It rang true for me, in a way nothing else did. Whatever soul I had, Katie, I think I placed it in your keeping twenty years ago. And now, it's as if...every time we kiss, you give a little piece of it back."




5. James Easton -- The Agency series by Y.S. Lee
A young engineer from nineteenth century London who, especially at the beginning, has very strong opinions about life, love, and his place in the world.  But, through his interactions with the mysterious Mary Quinn, James begins to rethink his outlook and finds someone he can truly admire and respect.  He definitely has a way with words that had Mary and me sighing with happiness.

"I’m so sorry. I don’t think the etiquette manuals cover this sort of situation." He leaned in close, his lips all but grazing her neck, and inhaled. "Mmm. You smell good, too."
She nearly choked. Took a step backwards, until her back met cold stone. "Th-thank you."
"That’s better. May I kiss you?" His finger dipped into her shirt collar, stroking the tender nape of her neck. 
--The Body at the Tower


6. Dimitri Belikov -- Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
A very famous YA hero that I just met this year.  This tall, western-loving Russian dhampir completely steals the show in the Vampire Academy series.  And the journey that he goes on throughout the books makes him one of the most admirable heroes I've met in ages.

"No," Dimitri interrupted gently. He moved his face toward mine, our foreheads nearly touching. "It won't happen to you. You're too strong. You'll fight it, just like you did this time."
"I only did because you were here." He wrapped his arms around me, and I buried my face in his chest. "I can't do it by myself," I whispered.
"You can," he said. There was a tremulous note in his voice. "You're strong—you're so, so strong. It's why I love you." 
--Shadow Kiss


7. Zacharel -- Wicked Nights by Gena Showalter
A sexy, damaged angel who is danger of falling due to his propensity for killing humans while hunting demons.  I love heroes who are self-aware and know that they may not be worthy of a second chance.  But, Zacharel's protective nature and his camaraderie with his fellow warrior angels really caught my eye.

"Look, Winged Wonder. Get me out of here, then we'll hammer out the details about where I'm staying. Okay?"

"Winged Wonder," he said, nodding. "I find that I do not mind that one. It fits."
"Captain Modesty fits better," she muttered.
"I disagree. Winged Wonder is clearly the better choice for a man such as me."


8. Kaiden Rowe -- Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
The son of the Duke of Lust (one of the head henchmen for Lucifer).  Kai is the epitome of a sexy bad boy, but his seemingly carefree nature hides a softer side especially when he is around Anna.  I love when there are multiple sides to a single character and Kai definitely fits the bill for me.

"Wait,” Kaidan called from behind me. I squeezed my eyes shut for a second, but kept walking. Then I felt his hand around my wrist, spinning me in a half circle and pulling me to his chest. His face was so close. He reached down and cupped my face with one woolly hand, and wiped the top corner of my lip hard with his thumb. 
I flinched back. “What are you doing?” 

“I...” He appeared to have no idea himself. “I wanted to see your freckle.” 
A vulnerable tenderness flashed across his face, more painful to see than the coldness. It took every ounce of strength I had not to beg for one last kiss.



9. Lothaire Daciano -- Lothaire by Kresley Cole
For me, there is nothing better than a reformed villain which is why I had to feature Mr. Enemy of Old himself, Lothaire.  This red-eyed vampire has been annoying characters throughout the Immortals After Dark series, but it wasn't until his own story that readers finally got to see where he was truly coming from.  I loved how irreverent and arrogant Lothaire was and that he didn't undergo a personality transplant when he fell in love.  Sure he showed his good guy side through his interactions with Ellie, but he still retained enough bad boy swagger to keep me swooning.

His debtors always assumed he'd demand their firstborn. Like I'm fucking Rumpelstiltskin? What would Lothaire do with countless squalling babes? Raise them in a kennel?


10. Valek -- Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
I just finished reading this book today and I just had to feature Valek on this list.  I fell in love with this assassin from the moment Yelena met him and I kept turning pages hoping to see more scenes with him. I adored how passionate Valek is about protecting his Commander and the people who are loyal to him.  He is another example of someone that is more than meets the eye and I loved every minute of his page time.

"Yelena, you've driven me crazy. You've caused me considerable trouble and I've contemplated ending your life twice since I've known you...but you slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart."

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Simon Pearson -- Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean
Logan Quinn -- Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep
Finnikin -- Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
Wolfe Stovia -- Slumber by Samantha Young
Aiden St. Delphi -- Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout



2 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by Tessa Dare, but A Lady by Midnight just went to the top of my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE ADRIAN IVASHKOV!!! Been in love with him since I first heard "Hey little dhampir" in Frost Bite!!!!!!!! I really like Kai too and want to read the Poison Study series!
    My Top 10

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.