Wednesday, December 26, 2012

TOP 10 OF 2012: Day 3-Best "Couples" of 2012




A fun event sponsored by the bloggers at FiktshunA Life Bound by BooksConfessions of a BookaholicTwo Chicks on a Book, and Magical Urban Fantasy Books.  Check out the introductory post here.


**********************************

BEST "COUPLES" OF 2012



1. Sydney Sage and Adrian Ivashkov -- Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead
I will admit that I was not sure whether I would like Sydney and Adrian together when I first started this series.  Thankfully, I was dead wrong!  They are so perfect for each other despite the fact that they couldn't be more different.  Mead's beautiful writing and their insane chemistry makes them #1 in my book for 2012.


"My God, Sage. Your eyes. How have I never noticed them?"

That uncomfortable feeling was spreading over me again. "What about them?"

"The color," he breathed. "When you stand in the light. They're amazing... like molten gold. I could paint those..." He reached toward me but then pulled back. "They're beautiful. You're beautiful." --Bloodlines

2. Ty Grady and Zane Garrett -- Cut & Run series by Abigail Roux
One of my greatest finds this year was Roux's Cut & Run series which is a combination of romantic suspense and male/male romance.  Ty and Zane are two alpha heroes who should not work as a couple, but they do.  And what makes them different than others on this list is the danger that is associated with their jobs with the FBI.  This is a definitely a sexy, funny couple that redefines true love!

He sighed heavily and lifted his chin stubbornly, meeting Zane's eyes without flinching. "I didn't just say it to get you to jump. I'm in love with you Zane," he admitted in a calm,clear voice.
"I have been for a while." --Fish and Chips

3. Augustus Waters and Hazel Lancaster -- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
TFiOS is one of my favorite reads of 2012 so it should come as no surprise that Gus and Hazel are one of my favorite couples of the year as well.  The development of their romance is so heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time that I just had to feature them.


"May I see you again?" he asked. There was an endearing nervousness in his voice.
I smiled. "Sure."
"Tomorrow?" he asked.
"Patience, grasshopper," I counseled. "You don't want to seem overeager. 
"Right, that's why I said tomorrow," he said. "I want to see you again tonight. But I'm willing to wait all night and much of tomorrow." I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious," he said. 
"You don't even know me," I said. I grabbed the book from the center console. "How about I call you when I finish this?"
"But you don't even have my phone number," he said.
"I strongly suspect you wrote it in this book." 
He broke out into that goofy smile. "And you say we don't know each other."


4. Gabriel Nightengale and Jane Jameson -- Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper
Another great series find of 2012!  Librarian turned vampire Jane and her sexy sire Gabriel are probably the most humorous couple on this list.  Their antics are always over-the-top and highly entertaining.  And they still manage to keep a steady relationship going strong throughout the books.

"The ring is a copy of my mother’s. I took the stone from her engagement ring and had a jeweler place it in a titanium setting.”

"Titanium?” I asked.
“Dick knew a guy."
“Of course he did.”
“You’re a bit rough and tumble with jewelry, and I knew it would have to be able to stand up to…”
“Nuclear winter?”
His eyebrow lifted. “I never know with you.” --Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors




5. James Easton and Mary Quinn -- The Agency series by Y.S. Lee
This is a couple that crosses the social classes of nineteenth century London with James being a successful engineer and Mary a domestic spy.  They did not get along initially, but met up in random situations throughout the series and their relationship just grew and grew.  I'm definitely anxious to read more about them in the next book in the series!

He smiled. "I suppose I thought we'd have a madly impractical, terrifyingly modern sort of marriage. One based on love. Not to mention dangerous undertakings and hair's-breadth escapes from burning buildings, high ledges and exploding sewers."
"And bickering."
"Always that, yes."
"Assuming I want to marry at all."
"True. I know of no good way of forcing you to do anything."
"And you're mad enough to think it could work - one day?"
He cupped her face in his hands. His smile was so brilliant it seemed to illuminate the room. "I think it would be heaven."
She trembled, then. "You have a very strange idea of heaven."
"Kiss me and see." --The Traitor in the Tunnel


6. Dimitri Belikov and Rose Hathaway -- Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
I usually try to avoid replicating authors or series in top ten lists, but I couldn't resist Dimitri and Rose's epic relationship.  This slightly forbidden paranormal couple (he's her mentor) sizzled from the moment they met each other and their dramatic and often trying journey throughout the series really showed that they were truly meant to be together.

His fingertip gently wiped away a tear that had escaped down my cheek. "That's part of it," he said. "But also... well, you and I will both be Lissa's guardians someday. I need to protect her at all cost. If a pack of Strigoi come, I need to throw my body between them and her."
I know that. Of course that's what you have to do." The black sparkles were dancing in front of my eyes again. I was fading out.
"No. If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you.” 
--Vampire Academy 


7. Declan Tyler and Simon Murray -- Tigers and Devils series by Sean Kennedy
Another great male/male couple from a classic of the genre!  Simon is a film festival manager who is out as a proud gay man while Declan is a closeted Australian Rules Football player.  These two go through a lot over the course of their story from hiding their relationship to dealing with family issues to ex-boyfriends popping up at inappropriate times.  But, everything is worth it because they completely understand one another and strive to make the other person happy above all costs.

"I would never have broken up with you," I said earnestly. "I'm more miserable without you than I am with you." As soon as that sentence came out I groaned, because I knew how bad it sounded.
But Declan laughed. "Vintage Simon Murray comment." --Tigers and Devils


A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
8. Samuel Thorne and Kate Taylor -- A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare
I have really come to expect a lot out of Tessa Dare's couples since she is so amazing at providing sexy heroes and intelligent heroines that are easy to root for.  Well, in my opinion, Thorne and Kate are her best yet!  Thorne simultaneously makes me want to kiss him and hug him while Kate's quiet strength makes her someone I would easily want to befriend.  Their journey to true happiness was put into motion from their childhood and it was great to see everything come together in the end.

"I don't want anyone fighting over me," Kate said. "It's not worth it."

"Like hell it's not." Samuel turned to her. "Don't ever say you're not worth it, Katie. You're worth epic battles. Entire wars."
Her heart pinched. "Samuel..."
"Yes, Helen of Troy?" She thought she saw him wink as he backed away, reaching for a sword to match Evan's.  After all this time...he would choose this moment to be charming. 

Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
9. Simon Pearson and Juliana St. John -- Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean
This couple consists of two people who could not be more different at the beginning of the story.  The sexual tension between Simon and Juliana is amazingly written and I loved seeing stoic Simon fall head over heels for wild child Juliana.  This is a great example of Ms. MacLean's fabulous writing style and characters.

"You are my siren,” he said, running his hands along her thighs and down her calves, feeling the shape of her even as the silk of her gown kept them both from what they wanted. “My temptress . . . my sorceress . . . I cannot resist you, no matter how I try. You threaten to send me over the edge.”



10. Alex Andros and Aiden St. Delphi -- Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I have recently gotten obsessed with this YA series and Alex and Aiden's relationship is a main factor in that.  I love how well they compliment each other despite the forbidden aspect of their relationship.  There is a lot of drama involved with this couple, but it never gets over-the-top and kept me reading all the way until the end.

The hand that I tapped reached up and clasped mine. I froze as he threaded his finders through mine. “I’m what?”
Beautiful. Kind. Patient. Perfect. I said none of those things. Instead, I stared at his fingers, wondering if he knew he was holding my hand. “You’re always so….”
His thumb moved over the top of my hand. The balm made his fingers cool and smooth. “What?”
I looked up, and I was immediately snared. His stare, his soft touch along my hand was doing very strange things. I felt hot and dizzy, like I’d been out in the sun all day. All I could think about was how his hand felt on mine. --Half-Blood

HONORABLE MENTIONS: 

A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)  Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)  Easy  For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
Will Blackshear and Lydia Slaughter from A Gentleman Undone by Cecilia Grant
Logan Quinn and Gwen Frost from the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep
Lucas and Jacqueline from Easy by Tammara Webber
Elliot North and Kai Wentworth from For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

6 comments:

  1. You evil person. Not only did you pick couples, you also featured quotes. It's the ultimate downfall for me, cause now I want to reread the books I know and buy those I don't. XD Evil you! ;)

    Happy Holidays,

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am evil, aren't I? Hahaha! I love bookish quotes so I'm always looking for ways to showcase my favs.

      Delete
  2. Augustus Waters and Hazel Lancaster sound adorable but I refuse to read it and suffer the consequences of the ending!!! :-( I do like Adrian and Sydney together although I'm still angry at her! LOL Love Lucas and Jacqueline. So many others I want to read like The Covenant series and Jane Jameson series. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending is difficult, but the overall story was so amazing that everything was worth it.

      Delete
  3. I just read Tigerland! Loved it! Dec&Simon ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a great couple and I'm so happy I read their stories this year.

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.