Monday, December 24, 2012

TOP 10 OF 2012: Day 1--Best Books Read in 2012



A fun event sponsored by the bloggers at Fiktshun, A Life Bound by Books, Confessions of a Bookaholic, Two Chicks on a Book, and Magical Urban Fantasy Books.  Check out the introductory post here.

BEST BOOKS READ IN 2012

The Fault in Our Stars  A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)  The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)  Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)  A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)  Hot Head (Head, #1)  Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)  Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)  Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4)  A Spy in the House (The Agency, #1)


1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (young adult-contemporary)
Thought-provoking and heartbreaking, I believe this book is one of those that I will remember for the rest of my life. I probably will never read it again, but that is actually a compliment to how much it moved me.

2. A Lady By Midnight (Spindle Cove #3) by Tessa Dare (historical romance)Tessa Dare is becoming one of my favorite HR writers and this latest Spindle Cove is her best book so far. I love the way that she focused on two vulnerable, admirable people and how their relationship develops over time. My review.

3. The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2) by Richelle Mead (young adult-paranormal)The second in the Bloodlines series (spin-off to Ms. Mead's uber-popular Vampire Academy books) that sealed my obsession with Mr. Adrian Ivashkov. I wasn't sure about Sydney being the focus of this series at first, but this book told me all my fears were for naught. That last chapter alone is worthy of being on this list. My review.

4. Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love by Numbers #3) by Sarah MacLean (historical romance)While I enjoyed the first two books in MacLean's Love by Numbers series, this was one was the best. One of my favorite plots is a stubborn, seemingly cold-hearted hero falls head over heels for an "inappropriate" woman. Both Simon and Julianna were great characters and their romance was highly entertaining. My review.

5. A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear #2) by Cecilia Grant (historical romance)I enjoyed Ms. Grant's debut, A Lady Awakened, and was eagerly anticipating this installment. But, it exceeded all my expectations and made me long for the final book in the trilogy even more. If you are a fan of taking romance stereotypes and giving them a good kick in behind, try Ms. Grant's work. My review.

6. Hot Head by Damon Suede (male/male romance)A sexy, but sweet story of a firefighter who finds himself falling love with his best friend as well as dealing with the aftermath of 9/11. I loved the way Damon Suede depicted both Griffin and Dante as realistic and lovable heroes that readers will root to get together. But, I will warn potential readers that the steam level is pretty hot with these guys!

7. Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee (young adult-urban fantasy)Absolutely engrossing urban fantasy that focuses on the way angels treat humans after the apocalypse. Penryn and Rafe are extremely well-developed characters and their journey kept me glued to my e-reader well into the night. My review.

8. Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane #4)by Elizabeth Hoyt (historical romance)I absolutely adore Ms. Hoyt's historicals and Winter's story was one of my most anticipated of the year. I have been intrigued by the soft-spoken schoolmaster since we met him in Wicked Intentions and his love story did not disappoint. I also really enjoyed how strong his heroine was especially once we learned all her secrets. My review.

9. Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson #4) by Molly Harper (paranormal romance)This is also an entry for all the Jane Jameson books. This series was a great find for me and Jane is one of my favorite heroines of the year...you can't go wrong with a librarian turned vampire. The humor in these books is smart and original without being over the top. Also, I highly recommend the audio versions for you audiobook fans. My review.

10. A Spy in the House (The Agency #1) by Y.S. Lee (young adult-historical)Another fabulous series I discovered this year. Mary Quinn's adventures as a Victorian-era spy completely grabbed hold of my imagination and did not let go through all three books. Plus the chemistry between her and engineer James Easton made for plenty of swooning. My review.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Lothaire by Kresley Cole
Cut & Run series by Abigail Roux
The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa
Rogue Rider by Larissa Ione
Unraveled by Courtney Milan

7 comments:

  1. The Fault in Our Stars was definitely one of my favorite books of the year as well. I haven't read any of the others, but Angelfall sounds really interesting!

    My top ten list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelfall is on my top ten list as well. It was a huge surprise for me and I loved it. I still need to read The Fault in Our Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great selection: I haven’t read all of these, but quite a few are on my TBR list! :)

    My Top 10 Reads: http://coffeecookiesandchilipeppers.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-10-of-2012-best-books-read-in-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Golden Lily made my list too! And I must read Angelfall!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angelfall!
    Have you read Shadows by Paula Weston (Australian author)? - another AMAZING angel book(and I don't even like angel books... Hush,hush *shudders*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Shadows, but I put it on my wishlist. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.