Monday, December 3, 2012

REVIEW: "Rogue Rider" by Larissa Ione


Rogue Rider by Larissa Ione
(Lords of Deliverance #4)

Paranormal Romance -- Angels/Demons
For Ages 18+
Steam Level: Hot

Grand Central Publishing -- November 20, 2012
Mass Market Paperback, 391 pages

Rating: 5 Stars




SUMMARY

Jillian Cardiff came to this remote mountain town to forget the demon attack that almost killed her. Instead, she rescues-and falls for-a gorgeous stranger who has no memory of anything other than his name. Handsome, charming, and protective, Reseph seems like the kind of man whom Jillian can trust. But with hints of a troubling history of his own, he's also the kind of man who can be very dangerous . . .

Reseph may not know why he mysteriously appeared in Jillian's life, but he knows he wants to stay. Yet when Jillian's neighbors are killed, and demon hunters arrive on the scene, Reseph fears that he's putting Jillian in danger. And once it's revealed that Reseph is also Pestilence, the Horseman responsible for ravaging the world, he and Jillian must face the greatest challenge of all: Can they forget the horrors of a chilling past to save the future they both desire? 


MY THOUGHTS

**WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers for the earlier books in the Lords of Deliverance series, but none for Rogue Rider.**

I have been looking forward to Reseph's book for ages and it did not disappoint! I loved almost everything about this book and thought it was a great conclusion to the epic Lords of Deliverance series.

What I Enjoyed:
1. For me, Reseph, the reformed bad boy, made the entire book worth the read.  I have been eagerly anticipating his story since the first Lords of Deliverance book when we got a glimpse of him before his transformation into Pestilence.  Now, readers are given the opportunity to really get to know the true Reseph due to the fact that he suffers from amnesia after being "saved" by Reaver.  I loved how Larissa Ione balanced the old and new Reseph.  There were obvious signs of his true personality with the arrogance and snarky wit, but she also showed how much the memories of Pestilence plagued him (once they were unlocked).  I also liked the way she portrayed how different of a man he was from even his pre-transformation days.

2. I knew, with all the hype related to Reseph, that the heroine of Rogue Rider was going to have to be someone special...and she definitely was.  Jillian is exactly the type of woman that Reseph needed.  She was tough, pretty no-nonsense yet had a vulnerable side that allowed her to sympathize with him.  I thought her connection to Pestilence was an interesting twist to the relationship that just brought the drama level up.

3. One of my favorite things about Ione's work is her cast of characters which grows with each book.  I'm still not sure what I think about Revenant the fallen angel, but I'm really interested to see what Ione has in store for his character in the future.  I also loved seeing all my old friends from the earlier Lords of Deliverance books and the Demonica series.  My particular favorites in this installment were Kynan, Arik, Harvester, and, of course, Reaver.  I liked how Ione showed the other Horsemen being happy in their relationships without going over-the-top cheesy since that doesn't go along with their personalities. 
And despite all of these personalities, Ione makes sure that her main characters are never overshadowed by the side characters.  The balance is really hard to find in paranormal romance today and is wonderful to read.

4. Ione is also amazing at the way she builds her supernatural world and keeps it interesting.  For this book specifically, I liked how she showed how the world has changed in the aftermath of the events of Eternal Rider, Immortal Rider, and Lethal Rider.  The angelic, demonic, and human worlds were all effected by Pestilence in different ways and they also reacted to his disappearance differently which was intriguing.  I can't wait to see more about how the world has changed and how the humans will react in the long haul to the existence of demons and angels.


5. Like the other books in the Lords of Deliverance and Demonica series, the plot of Rogue Rider is packed full of action, suspense, and drama.  Ione knows how to keep a reader glued to the page and it definitely happened with this book.  There was a lot going on here with Reseph's resurgence, the demons' attempt to revive Pestilence, the Horsemen's effort to move on with their lives, and, most importantly, the reveal of the Horsemen's father! 

What I Didn't Enjoy:
1. The only thing that hampered my enjoyment of Rogue Rider was the development of Reseph and Jillian's relationship.  That's not to say I didn't like them as a couple, I just wanted more time with them.  Cabin romances are not my favorite plotline

Conclusion: 
This was a great ending to a fabulous series!  I'm glad to see Ione wrap up the Horsemen's main stories though I am also excited to see her continuing the world with Reaver's story.  Can't wait to see who he is matched up with...though I definitely have someone I'm pulling for!

SERIES INFORMATION

Lords of Deliverance
1. Eternal Rider
2. Immortal Rider
3. Lethal Rider
4. Rogue Rider

Demonica (Prequel)
1. Pleasure Unbound
2. Desire Unchained
3. Passion Unleashed
4. Ecstasty Unveiled
5. Sin Undone

SIMILAR TITLES

Wicked Nights by Gena Showalter
Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole


BOOK CHALLENGE ENTRY




1 comment:

  1. Great review! I'll be reading this one soon. Hope I enjoy it as much as you did =)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.