Friday, December 21, 2012

REVIEW: "Easy" by Tammara Webber


Easy by Tammara Webber

New Adult -- Contemporary Romance
For Ages 16+
Steam Level: Warm

Self-published --May 25, 2012
Ebook, 304 pages

Rating: 4.5 Stars




SUMMARY

A girl who believes trust can be misplaced, promises are made to be broken, and loyalty is an illusion. A boy who believes truth is relative, lies can mask unbearable pain, and guilt is eternal. Will what they find in each other validate their conclusions, or disprove them all?

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.
MY THOUGHTS

I have been hearing about Tammara Webber's Easy for quite a while through the blogging community.  I was intrigued by the good reviews and the overall premise of the book, but just couldn't get inspired to try it for a few months.  But, now that I have read it, I can easily say, "What was I waiting for?"  This book was an amazing read that fully engrossed me and made me care about these awesome characters.

What I Liked
1. I thought Jacqueline was a great heroine especially for this particular plot.  I liked how Ms. Webber established that this was a time for change for Jacqueline and that there was a real difference between the person she was with her ex and now.  My favorite part of Jacqueline was how realistic she felt to me and how she seemed like someone I could have met while in college.  She wasn't perfect and had to overcome some of her own personal issues in order to be happy by the end.  I thought she was a decent representation of a girl in the middle of her college experience.

2. Lucas was also an amazing character.  I loved the way Ms. Webber slowly revealed various aspects of his personality in the same way that Jacqueline was getting to know him.  Lucas is definitely a complex character, but I never felt overwhelmed when we learned the truths about his life and childhood.  I love when authors create characters that keep me guessing as to their true motivations and Lucas is a great example of that.  

3. The development of the relationship between Lucas and Jacqueline was another intriguing aspect of this book.  Sometimes YA (or in this case, NA) romances rely too much on love at first sight and spend little time really showing the inner workings of two people falling in love.  I liked that Lucas and Jacqueline meet in an unorthodox way and that the meeting stuck with them throughout the story.  It was also nice to see them become friends before jumping into the romance aspect which was refreshing.  They really seemed to enjoy spending time with each other and talking about a multitude of things which appealed to me as a reader.

4I loved the fact that Easy was set on a college campus and is depicted so realistically.  As a recent college graduate, I really enjoyed reading about all the ins and outs of college life and thinking about those years.  I just think there is so much potential for writers to focus on with college life that I was glad Ms. Webber made that decision.

5. The plot of Easy is a great example of how to balance the dark with the light.  There are definitely some heavier aspects of the story that made me think and feel for the characters.  It covered almost everything from stalking to trouble with schoolwork to money issues.  I think these are very real situations that were handled respectfully and without going over the top.  And I liked how Ms. Webber balanced the drama with some pretty funny situations that kept things from getting too dark.


What I Didn't Like
1. The only thing I had a problem with in this book was the pacing towards the middle.  It didn't really ruin my reading experience, but I did find the plot to be a little drawn out at that point.  But, this is a minor quibble for what is overall a fantastic read.

Overall Conclusion 
I really enjoyed this contemporary romance and how it introduced to the intriguing New Adult genre.  I thought both Jacqueline and Lucas were great main characters that I would like to meet in real life.  I will definitely be checking out more of Ms. Webber's writing in the future. 

SIMILAR TITLES

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park
Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols
Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

4 comments:

  1. New Adult is definitely a which has a lot of potential!Great review!Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to read Easy FOREVER! I have both the ebook and a physical copy, but still haven't read it, despite the fact that I have heard nothing but good things. I just need to sit down and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I had the exact same thoughts, unorthodox meeting, dark & light story, great girl character, and very mysterious yet captivating guy character. I simply adored Lucas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! I've heard so many great things about this book and I'm a little confused about the whole NA genre, but I think this would be a great introduction to the genre! And Jacqueline and Lucas sound like some great characters.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.