Monday, December 10, 2012

2012 IN REVIEW: End of Year Book Survey



Hosted by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner.

This is a fun survey that allows me to think about all the great books I read this year and also gives me the opportunity to see what other readers have loved.  My TBR list is going to hate me after this!  You can find the link to this year's survey here.

BOOK READING QUESTIONS

 1. Best Books You Read in 2012
Historical Romance: A Gentleman Undone by Cecilia Grant (review)
Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy: Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors by Molly Harper (review)
Male/Male Romance: Tigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy (review)
Young Adult: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
  

2. Books You Were Excited About & Thought You Would Love More, But Didn't.
Scandal Wears Satin by Loretta Chase --I love Loretta Chase's historicals, but this one just didn't grab me the way her others did.  That being said, I'm still anticipating the next book in the series. 
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi  -- I liked this YA dystopian, but it didn't meet the expectations I had for it. (review)

3. Most Surprising Book of 2012 (In a Good Way)
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand -- I'm not usually a fan of YA angel books, but I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this one even with the love triangle aspect. (review)

4. Book You Recommended to People Most in 2012
Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper -- Absolutely hilarious vampire series...I highly recommend the audiobook versions.
The Agency series by Y.S. Lee -- Engrossing historical mystery series with a great heroine, swoon-worthy hero, and plenty of fun Victorian details.

5. Best Series You Discovered in 2012
Vampire Academy/Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead
The Agency series by Y.S. Lee
Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper
Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Cut & Run series by Abigail Roux
Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep


6. Favorite New Authors You Discovered in 2012
Y.S. Lee
Molly Harper
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Melina Marchetta
Wendy Higgins
Rose Gordon


7. Best Books That Were Out of Your Comfort Zone
Cut & Run series by Abigail Roux -- I've gotten into male/male romance in the past two years, but this was my first m/m romantic suspense series.  And I am obsessed!!

8. Most Thrilling Books of 2012
Angelfall by Susan Ee (review)
Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta (review)

9. Book Read in 2012 That You Will Most Likely Re-read in 2013 
Angelfall by Susan Ee (review)

10. Favorite Cover of a Book Read in 2012
The Body at the Tower by Y.S. Lee
11. Most Memorable Characters in 2012 
Hero: Winter Makepeace -- Thief of Shadows by Elizabeth Hoyt (review)
Heroine: Jane Jameson -- Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper 
Villains: Demon Dukes -- Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins (review)

12. Most Beautifully Written Book Read in 2012
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (review)

13. Book That Had the Greatest Impact on You in 2012
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 

14. Book You Can't Believe You Waited Until 2012 To Finally Read
Tigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy (review)

15. Favorite Passages/Quotes From Books Read in 2012

"I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you." --The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

"I tried to be a better person for her– but it was to impress her, to get her to want me. But when I’m around you, I want to be better because… well, because it feels right. Because I want to. You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like… like light made into flesh. […] You have no clue how beautiful you are or how brightly you shine." --The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

"The old poems said that lovers were made for each other. But that wasn't true for Kai and Elliot. They hadn't been made for each other at all—quite the opposite. But they'd grown together, the two of them, until they were like two trees from a single trunk, stronger together than either could have been alone." --For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

"I love you" Ty said, the quiet words devoid of any self-consciousness of his usual bravado.  "And I've never been able to say that before with such conviction. I can't remember a time when you weren't the first thing I thought of, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I don't care what stands in our way." --Armed & Dangerous by Abigail Roux

16. Shortest & Longest Book Read in 2012
Shortest: Midnight in Death by JD Robb (90 pages)
Longest: Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead (594 pages)


17. Book That Had a Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying to Talk to Somebody About It?
The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead (review)


18. Favorite Relationships From Books Read in 2012
Romantic: Ty and Zane from the Cut & Run series by Abigail Roux
Friendship: Jane and Zeb from the Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper
Family: Gwen and her grandmother from the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep
Other: Atticus and Oberon from the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne

19. Favorite Books You Read By Authors You Had Read Previously
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
A Gentleman Undone by Cecilia Grant (review)

20. Best Book That You Read in 2012 Based Solely on the Recommendation of Someone Else
Angelfall by Susan Ee (review)


LOOKING AHEAD TO 2013


1. One Book You Didn't Get To in 2012, But Will Be Your Top Priority in 2013
A Million Suns by Beth Revis -- I'm patiently waiting till closer to Shades of Earth's release date so I can read them back to back.

2. Books You Are Most Anticipating For 2013
Lover At Last by JR Ward -- Finally get to see Qhuay get their happily-ever-after!!

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish or Do in Your Reading/Blogging in 2013
To decrease the size of my TBR pile which is slowly, but surely evolving into a mountain.

2 comments:

  1. Unearthly was a nice surprise for me too! (Although I have yet to read Hallowed *ducks and hides* )

    I'm anxious to see what you think of A Million Suns!!

    Here's my 2012 wrap-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, I chose Mythos Academy as best discovered series too. Jennifer Estep POWER!!!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.