Sunday, November 11, 2012

WEEKLY RECAP: November 5-November 11, 2012


Last Week on Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews:


BOOK REVIEWS:
5 Stars -- Tigers and Devils (Tigers and Devils #1) by Sean Kennedy


BLOG FEATURES:
Monday Kindle Deals
Top Ten Tuesday: Freebie--Blogger Recommendations
Follow Friday: Similarities in Books

BOOKS READ:
Three Schemes and a Scandal (Writing Girls #3.5) by Maya Rodale -- 4 Stars (Historical Romance)
Very sweet and funny historical novella.  It focuses on Charlotte, sister of the hero from A Groom of One's Own, who has a tendency to create and perform elaborate schemes.  I love childhood friend-to-lovers stories and this one was very cute.  Both main characters were deep and relatable and they worked well as a couple.  I thought all the different schemes were hilarious and the marriage proposal was one of the cutest I've read in awhile.

Playing for Keeps (Neighbor From Hell #1) by R.L. Mathewson -- 4 Stars (Contemporary Romance)
This is the first book I've read by Mathewson and it definitely won't be my last.  Jason and Haley were absolutely hilarious together and so obviously perfect for each other.  I liked how Mathewson showed the inner depths of their characters and didn't make them jump immediately into bed.  I appreciate the slow burn of the romance and it made the ending worth the wait.  The whole concept of this series sounds fascinating and I look forward to more.

Tigerland (Tigers and Devils #2) by Sean Kennedy -- 4 Stars (M/M Contemporary)
Great sequel to Tigers and Devils!  I love seeing how Simon and Declan have grown as people and as a couple over the years.  The secondary characters are still a major part of the story and so much fun!  Kennedy, again, does a great job of balancing the serious, dramatic portions with plenty of humorous moments.  Full review coming soon.

Tommy Nightmare (The Paranormals #2) by J.L. Bryan -- 4 Stars (Paranormal/Urban Fantasy)
Super intense sequel to one of my favorite reads of 2011, Jenny Pox.  The world of The Paranormals continues to build and readers learn more about the Jenny's past lives.  Ashleigh Goodling continues to be one of the most intriguing villains I've ever read and adding the creepy, tortured Tommy to her group just makes everything more terrifying.  Full review coming soon.

Player and the Prude (Holsum College #4) by Daisy Harris -- 4 Stars (M/M Contemporary)
This is much darker than the other Holsum College novellas and I really enjoyed that aspect.  I wasn't sure if I would like Brooks especially after reading about his escapades in Townie and the Twink, but Ms. Harris made me fall in love with him.  And don't even get me started on the big teddy bear that is Matt Porter.  Full review coming soon.

In Bed with the Opposition by Stephanie Draven -- 3.5 Stars (Contemporary Romance)
I loved the political setting of this contemporary love story: perfect for an election year read.  Grace was a strong heroine with quite a few quirks that made her lovable while Ethan just made me fall head over heels.  I really liked all the West Wing references (I'm a dork, I know).  The main issue I had with the book was that I didn't like all the time jumps.  I thought Ethan and Grace were a fun couple to read about and I wanted a little bit more about the development of their relationship.  I'll definitely look for more of Ms. Draven's work in the future especially if she is going to do more politically-set romances.


Townie and the Twink (Holsum College #3) by Daisy Harris -- 3.5 Stars (M/M Contemporary)
I liked this one more than the second Holsum book, but it still hasn't captured the magic of the first.  Gabe was hilarious and I love how insightful he was.  Nick's storyline was very intriguing with the whole "figuring out he's gay" thing and it was nice to see Gabe help him figure things out.  Full review coming soon.

Diva and the Frat Boy (Holsum College #2) by Daisy Harris -- 3 Stars (M/M Contemporary)
I enjoyed this one, but not as much as the first in the series.  Nathaniel and Greg are great characters, but I never felt like I got to know them well enough.  Their romance was very sweet, but there were some moments where I thought Greg was a bit of an ass and he never really groveled enough for my taste.  Full review coming soon.

CURRENTLY READING:
Holiday in Death by JD Robb (Romantic Suspense)
Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis (Contemporary Romance)
Poison Princess by Kresley Cole (YA Paranormal)

BOOKS PURCHASED OR RECEIVED:
In Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks
Heiress in Love by Christina Brooke
Brightest Kind of Darkness by P.T. Michelle
Collide by Shelly Crane
Angel of Darkness by Cynthia Eden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.