Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, November 12, 2012

REVIEW: "The Lost Prince" by Julie Kagawa


The Lost Prince by Author
(Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1)

Young Adult -- Fantasy/Romance
For Ages 13+
Steam Level: Kisses

Harlequin Teen -- October 23, 2012
Paperback, 379 pages

Rating: 5 Stars




SUMMARY

Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

MY THOUGHTS

**Warning: This review may contain minor spoilers of the Iron Fey series.  My reviews for those books are linked below.**

Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series is one of my favorite YA series so I had high hopes for the spin-off featuring Meghan's baby brother, Ethan.  Thankfully, my expectations were met with a book full of realistic characters, a richly-developed setting, and plenty of suspense to keep readers turning pages late into the night.

Ethan Chase is definitely not the scared little boy we met in The Iron King anymore.  He has grown up and is dealing with his own fey-induced issues.  Ethan has always been able to see the fey and they delight in using his ability to torture him especially with his connection to the new Iron Queen.  Now that he is a teenager, Ethan is very aware of how dangerous the fey are and he does everything in is power to keep them from hurting others.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Ethan before starting this book.  After all, my last impression of him was a terrified child who had been kidnapped and held hostage in the Nevernever.  But, Ethan has definitely become a great YA hero.  I loved how Kagawa showed his strength as well as his vulnerabilities without making him seen unrealistic.  A reader can definitely find themselves rooting for Ethan throughout his adventures.  I also liked how she focused on how angry he was at Meghan, and Ash, and how that shaped his views of the fey world.

Besides Ethan, Kagawa gives us a whole new set of characters as well as some old favorites to keep things moving.  I absolutely adored the return of Ash, Puck, and Meghan and was also ecstatic to see the always shady Leanansidhe's reappearance.  But, my personal favorite recurring character is that shady feline Grimalkin who seemed to delight in torturing Ethan just like he did the other Iron Fey characters.

In terms of the new characters, I'm not a hundred percent sure what I feel about them.  I liked Kenzie (Ethan's "love interest") and am anxious to see how their relationship develops especially with the bomb she revealed at the end.  I found her curiosity and tenacity to be refreshing characteristics and a nice balance to Ethan's brooding.  Keirren, whose identity I won't reveal in order to avoid spoilers, was a little harder for me to get a handle on.  But, I think his background and possible future are intriguing so I'm willing to wait and see if he grows on me.

Just like in the Iron Fey series, the Nevernever is a character on its own.  The way that Kagawa describes this fantastical world is awe-inspiring and I always feel like I'm really there with the characters.  I also love how ever-changing the Nevernever is which fits in perfectly with the whole fey mythology.

I found the plot of The Lost Prince to be a nice balance between action and suspense.  There is so much mystery surrounding the missing exiles and half-breeds that I kept turning pages in order to get to the resolution.   Also, Kagawa provides plenty of action scenes to keep a reader's adrenaline pumping.  I really am looking forward to the next book in the series especially with the surprising ending of this one and the possible repercussions from the prequel novella, Iron's Prophecy.


SERIES INFORMATION

Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten
1. The Lost Prince
2. The Traitor Son (Coming September 2013)

Iron Fey (Prequels)
1. The Iron King
1.5. Winter's Passage
2. The Iron Daughter
3. The Iron Queen
3.5. Summer's Crossing
4. The Iron Knight
4.5. Iron's Prophecy

BOOK TRAILER


BOOK CHALLENGE ENTRY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.