Friday, November 9, 2012

FOLLOW FRIDAY (49)

Gain New Blog Followers

Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that expands your blog following by a joint effort between bloggers. Feature & Follow Friday is now hosted by TWO hosts, Rachel of Parajunkee and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!



Q: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books?  Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings, or pulled to publish fanfics?

I definitely do not mind finding similar ideas in books.  As a former English major, I have learned that there are very few completely original ideas and I also have developed knowledge of many "classic" literary works.  Some of the fun of reading (for me, at least) is seeing the connections between current works and past works.  

For example, I am a huge fan of fairy tale retellings and love to see how a writer takes an existing story and makes it their own ala Beastly by Alex Flinn or Cinder by Marissa Meyer.  Some other "retellings" that I have enjoyed are An Affair to Remember by Karen Hawkins (based on The King and I), For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund (based on Jane Austen's Persuasion), and His At Night by Sherry Thomas (based on The Scarlet Pimpernel).

In terms of fanfiction, I was a huge fan during high school and still like to search out my old favorites.  I specifically was drawn to stories from Harry Potter, Jane Austen, and the anime Sailor Moon.  As a fanfic reader, I was extremely picky about the writing skill and storylines that I would choose.  One of my favorite types of plots to read (especially in HP) was alternate universes where one tiny thing was different and the entire world changed.  


*******
I have created different ways for you to follow my blog: GFC, LinkyFollowers, email, Twitter, or Goodreads.  Comment, follow me, and I'll return the favor!!

8 comments:

  1. I don't really mind either as long as each book has a unique voice.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good answer. I love a good retelling. I have a hard time resisting a good Pride & Prejudice-type story.

    new follower. My FF:
    http://booksojourner.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature-follow-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a fanfic reader, but I totally agree with what you said about retellings! Seeing how the author makes an old story contemporary and new is half the fun of reading a retelling!
    old follower :)
    Here’s my FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a really good answer.
    - New Follower :)
    Marissa @ http://www.fortheloveoffilmandnovels.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answer! I'm now following you via GFC so feel free to visit whenever you get a chance...

    The Scarf Princess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answer!! I haven't actually read any FanFic, so I had no opinion on that!

    Thanx for visiting my FF!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace
    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.