Sunday, November 25, 2012

BI-WEEKLY RECAP: November 12-November 25, 2012

Last Two Weeks on Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews:


BOOK REVIEWS:
5 Stars -- The Lost Prince (Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1) by Julie Kagawa (YA Fantasy)
4 Stars -- College Boys (Holsum College #1) by Daisy Harris (M/M Contemporary Romance)
4 Stars -- Player and the Prude (Holsum College #4) by Daisy Harris (M/M Contemporary Romance)
3.5 Stars -- Townie and the Twink (Holsum College #2) by Daisy Harris (M/M Contemporary Romance)
3 Stars -- Diva and the Frat Boy (Holsum College #3) by Daisy Harris (M/M Contemporary Romance)

BLOG FEATURES:
Monday Kindle Deals
Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Want on a Deserted Island
2013 Debut Author Reading Challenge: Sign-up Post 
Waiting on Wednesday: Lord of Darkness by Elizabeth Hoyt 
2013 Dystopia Reading Challenge: Sign-up Post
Top Ten Tuesday: Books/Authors I'm Thankful For
Waiting on Wednesday: Beauty Awakened by Gena Showalter 

BOOKS READ:

Her Secondhand Groom (Grooms #3) by Rose Gordon (Historical Romance) -- 3 Stars
This was an ok read.  I liked the premise and the heroine.  The hero got a little annoying with his constant suspicion of the heroine, but I felt for him when the truth about his late wife was revealed.  The little girls were cute without being unrealistic.  Easy to understand plot and lovely writing as always from Ms. Gordon.  I look forward to reading more!

Holiday in Death (In Death #7) by JD Robb (Romantic Suspense) -- 4 Stars
Very disturbing mystery that kept me glued to my stereo especially towards the end.  Eve's strength of character is pivotal for the success of this investigation and I really liked seeing the progression of her character.  The holiday shopping bits were hilarious!  Roarke was perfection once again...he truly is too good to be true.  All the other secondary characters were in fine form and had valuable parts to play in the overall storyline.  Can't wait to continue the series!

Midnight in Death (In Death #7.5) by JD Robb (Romantic Suspense) -- 3 Stars
I really liked the concept of this book more than the execution.  The bad guy is absolutely fascinating and I wish Robb had been given more pages to develop the mystery more.  There were some twists that I didn't expect, but overall I felt the ending was anticlimactic.  Loved seeing the aftermath of all the present giving though!

Seducing Mr. Knightly (Writing Girls #4) by Maya Rodale (Historical Romance) -- 4 Stars
I loved seeing Annabelle and Knightly finally get their happily ever after!  I wasn't sure about my feelings for Annabelle at first because she always seemed too mild.  But, I really liked learning more about her.  Her quiet strength and resolve was very admirable especially once the truth about her home situation came out.  Knightly did get a little on my nerves with his obliviousness to Annabelle's feelings and I thought his feelings came about a little too quickly for my taste  It was fascinating, though, to learn more about Knightly's past and how much it has molded his devotion to The London Weekly.

I also liked seeing how hard the rest of the London Weekly staff worked to get Annabelle and Knightly together in addition to saving their newspaper from an ill-advised inquiry.  I'm a history dork so the inquiry sections were really intriguing to me.  Overall, I thought this was a great ending to a very entertaining series.  I look forward to seeing what Ms. Rodale comes up with next!

Rogue Rider (Lords of Deliverance #4) by Larissa Ione -- 5 Stars
I have been looking forward to Reseph's book for ages and it did not disappoint!  I loved almost everything about this book especially the tough, no-nonsense heroine, all the Demonica/LoD side characters, the reveal of the Horsemen's father, and, of course, Reseph in all his tortured, reformed glory.  I can't wait to read Reaver's story next!  Full review coming soon.

Dead to You by Lisa McMann -- 4 Stars
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this YA contemporary, but it definitely wasn't the thrilling, dramatic ride that I finished within a few hours. McMann's writing style appears almost effortless and kept me on the edge of my seat.  Her characterization of Ethan, his family, and everyone at his high school was well-done and made me, as the reader, feel like I was a part of the community.  Emotions ran very high in this book and provided some major heartbreaking moments.  And don't even get me started on that cliffhanger of an ending...absolutely genius!

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick -- 4 Stars
A YA contemporary that provided readers with a fabulous portrayal of summer love and coming of age.  The heroine, Samantha, is realistic and sympathetic while remaining a great role model for teenage girls.  I loved reading about her journey to discovering how strong she really is and how different she is from her family.  The Garretts are a highly entertaining family that provided a great example of true happiness.  Jase is a swoonworthy YA hero that any girl would love to date.  Full review coming soon.

CURRENTLY READING:
When You Give a Duke a Diamond by Shana Galen
Easy by Tammara Webber

BOOKS PURCHASED OR RECEIVED:
A Vintage Affair by Josh Lanyon
Turbulence 1: Into the Bermuda Triangle by Jordan Castillo-Price
As You Wish by Elyssa Patrick
The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred
Her Secondhand Groom by Rose Gordon
Dragon Aster Trilogy by S.J. Wist
Cornerstone by Misty Provencher
The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen
Mything You by Greta Buckle
Lord Beast by Ashlyn Montgomery


No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.