Tuesday, October 16, 2012

TOP TEN TUESDAY (40): Favorite Historical/Paranormal Romance Authors

Sponsored by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.


While creating this list, I spent an obscene amount of time trying to decide whether I wanted to feature my favorite historical or paranormal writers.  These are my top genres and trying to choose one is like choosing between children (I would think).  Therefore, I may the executive decision to cheat and create a list for each genre this week.  Enjoy!!

TOP TEN FAVORITE HISTORICAL ROMANCE AUTHORS

 1. Lisa Kleypas 
Favorite Book: Devil in Winter
Why I Love Her: working class heroes, tearjerking moments

2. Elizabeth Hoyt
Favorite Book: The Raven Prince
Why I Love Her: sensuality, unusual settings, not afraid to push the envelope
 
3. Julia Quinn
Favorite Book: The Viscount Who Loved Me
Why I Love Her: humorous situations, great heroines, fun families


4. Loretta Chase
Favorite Book: Lord of Scoundrels 
Why I Love Her: chemistry between hero and heroine, unusual situations

5. Tessa Dare
Favorite Book: Lady by Midnight
Why I Love Her: strong heroines, diverse settings

6. Eloisa James
Favorite Book: The Taming of the Duke
Why I Love Her: historical research, unusual settings



7. Courtney Milan
Favorite Book: Unveiled

Why I Love Her: unusual characters, difficult plots

8. Laura Lee Guhrke
Favorite Book: Secret Desires of a Gentleman
Why I Love Her: unusual settings (Edwardian England), retellings of classics

9. Miranda Neville
Favorite Book: The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton
Why I Love Her: twisted romance stereotypes, unusual heroes (male makeover)

10. Sarah MacLean 
Favorite Book: Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart
Why I Love Her: realistic couples, secondary characters






TOP TEN FAVORITE PARANORMAL ROMANCE AUTHORS


1. JR Ward
Favorite Book: Lover Awakened
Why I Love Her: tortured heroes, action

2. Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: Seize the Night
Why I Love Her: tortured heroes, variety of mythological inspirations, worldbuilding

3. Larissa Ione
Favorite Book: Passion Unleashed
Why I Love Her: creative worldbuilding, tortured characters, dark sense of humor, sexy romance



4. Kresley Cole
Favorite Book: Demon from the Dark
Why I Love Her: insane worldbuilding, diversity of characters, overarching plots

5. Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: Caressed by Ice
Why I Love Her: unusual setting, chemistry beyond lust, side characters

6. Gena Showalter
Favorite Book: The Darkest Seduction
Why I Love Her: mythological inspirations, tortured heroes/heroines



7. Jeaniene Frost
Favorite Book: One Foot in the Grave
Why I Love Her: kickass heroines, sexy heroes, violent action

8. Molly Harper
Favorite Book: Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors
Why I Love Her: comedy, vampires in the "real world"

9. Lara Adrian
Favorite Book: Midnight Rising
Why I Love Her: vampires as aliens, tortured heroes, overarching storyline

10. Pamela Palmer
Favorite Book: Obsession Untamed
Why I Love Her: violence, not afraid to torture her characters


6 comments:

  1. I've actually never read anything my any of these authors, but I've heard some good things about them.... great list!

    Check out my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually read anything by any of these authors but I will definitely keep an eye out for them now. Thanks for the recommendations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like choosing which toe to cut off. In the historical authors category, you and I have 4 authors in common, Lisa Kleypas (Devil in Winter is my favorite too), Elizabeth Hoyt (Thief of Shadows is my fave), Sarah MacLean (Eleven Scandals tops my list too) and Tessa Dare (A Week to be Wicked is my choice). After that it's:
    Gaelen Foley (My Ruthless Prince)
    Sabrina Jeffries (A Lady Never Surrenders)
    Lydia Dare though I think Lydia Dare books count as both historical and paranormal (My pick is The Taming of the Wolf)
    Alexandra Hawkins (Can't pick, they're all awesome)
    Shana Galen (When You Give a Duke a Diamond)
    Jennifer Haymore (It's a tie between A Hint of Wicked and Confessions of an Improper Bride)

    My paranormal picks are similar to yours too. Sherrilyn Kenyon (Night Pleasures & Acheron), Lara Adrian (Um, tie again between Kiss of Midnight and Darker After Midnight), Larissa Ione (All of them) and then from there it goes:
    Laura Wright (Eternal Captive)
    Alexandra Ivy (Fear the Darkness)
    And so many more I can't chose. Terrible I know.

    Adria
    Breath of Life Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower! I don't read too much of the romance genre, but this was a fun list!

    Check out my TTT.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a great list!! I now have so many new authors to check out! I've read Devil in Winter and part of Once Burned, but I've been meaning to read Jeaniene Frost's other series for a while.
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I... have not read anything by anyone on your lists! It's no surprise for historical romance because I've never read one ever, but I have read some paranormal romance, just not a lot. I did pick up a Molly Harper book but I can't remember which one, but it was a vampire one. Everyone I know that's read one says they're really funny.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.