Monday, October 15, 2012

REVIEW: "Demonglass" by Rachel Hawkins


Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins
(Hex Hall #2)

Young Adult -- Paranormal/Fantasy
For Ages 13+
Steam Level: Kisses

Hyperion --January 2011
Hardcover, 359 pages

Rating: 4 Stars




SUMMARY

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

MY THOUGHTS

WARNING: This review may contain minor spoilers for the first book in this series, Hex Hall.

It is always refreshing to read a YA paranormal series that goes beyond the cliche plot lines and characters that are seem like they are everywhere.  One of my favorite aspects of Hex Hall (book one) was that it starts out fairly simplistic and then quickly turns into something I'd never read before.  So I was definitely excited to see where the author takes the series in the next book.  I found myself just as engrossed in this book with its snarky humor, deep characters, and plenty of supernatural fun!

One of my favorite parts of the first book and this one was the characters.  Both the main ones and the sidekicks were very detailed.  The protagonist, Sophie, is perfectly depicted with her sarcasm and indecision regarding whether she truly wants to go through the Removal.  She was faced with many difficult decisions and it was nice to see her try to figure out the best one.  I did get a bit annoyed with the lovesick part of her character, but it was understandable.  Her relationship with her father was center stage in this book and I found it be very realistic and poignant.

I am very intrigued by Archer (Sophie's love interest/rival) and what his true purpose is.  His actions in the first book were really shocking and I wanted to know more about him.  Cal, the other side of the Hex Hall love triangle, is very entertaining and appropriately mysterious.  Sophie's vampire best friend, Jenna, continues to be one of my favorite young adult best friends.  I also liked the introduction of Nick and Daisy, Sophie's fellow demons, and wish we could have gotten to know more about them. 

Once again, I love how Hawkins goes beyond the magic school storyline and has our characters in a completely alternate setting.  I found Hex Hall to be intriguing, but it was nice to see more of the outside world.  The house that the main characters stay in seems like a character in itself (like Hex Hall did) which always grabs my attention.    

Plotwise, I had a bit more trouble with this book than Hex Hall.  The beginning was really interesting, but the middle seemed to be a bit bogged down with the whole demon mystery and Sophie moping parts.  The conclusion, though, completely made up for the lack of action especially with that killer cliffhanger!  Now, I am really anxious to read the final book and see what happens to all these great characters.  


SERIES INFORMATION

Hex Hall
1. Hex Hall
2. Demonglass
3. Spell Bound

SIMILAR TITLES

Mythos Academy by Jennifer Estep
Demons at Deadnight by A&E Kirk

5 comments:

  1. I just finished Hex Hall a few days ago and loved it! I agree with you, it totally took me by surprise, and I can't wait to read Demonglass :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was seriously obsessed with Archer Cross while reading this series, so I'm glad the you liked him too! This one was my favorite in the series. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the final book!

    Great review. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... one of my friends keeps telling me I should read this series, but I havent yet. I just havent run across them any where... so I forget about them too easily.
    But Great review, as always.
    I love the idea that she isnt actually a witch, but a demon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED Demonglass! I think it was my favourite book in the whole serie! Archer is just ... awwww <3 <3 I really really like him <3 And Sophie :) I think I should re-read the serie, I miss Sophie like crazy! Great review!! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.