Tuesday, September 11, 2012

TOP TEN TUESDAY (37): Books That Made Me Think

Sponsored by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish.



TOP TEN BOOKS BOOKS THAT MADE ME THINK

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
One of my favorite "required reading" books in school.  The treatment of Tom Robinson, the affections of Boo Radley, and the bravery of Atticus Finch has stuck with me for over ten years. 

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Pretty obvious answer, but it really made me think about what I would do in the same position as Katniss or Peeta.

3. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said?  I read this in one setting and went through every possible emotion during that time.  I still think about its message six months after reading it.

4. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Most of Dessen's books make me think, but especially this one.  Annabel and Owen are deep and relatable characters who showcase the importance of being true to yourself and the people around you.

5. Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath
A historical romance that is so much more than a bodice ripper.  The author asks some hard questions like the true meaning of courage and the importance of standing up for what you believe in.  This is all showcased through the eyes of a pacifist who refused to fight in the Civil War returning to his hometown.

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
Any HP book can make you think...which is one of the things I love best about the series.  But, I think it was the themes of the last book that really grabbed my attention from the importance of friendship to overcoming one's fear even in the face of imminent death.

7. Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper
I read this book for a young adult literature class last summer and it really impacted my thinking.  The main character, Melody, has a photographic memory, but her cerebral palsy renders her unable to voice her intelligence and opinions.  But, when a technological breakthrough allows her to speak her own mind for the first time, the people around Melody are in for a bit of a shock as she learns to manuever through her ever-changing world.

8. Divergent by Veronica Roth
Another thought-provoking dystopian novel.  The focus in this series is the importance of various virtues and whether society can really prosper by focusing on only one.  Roth also requires readers to think about what true courage, selflessness, knowledge, honesty, and peace are.

9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I'm sure this will be a popular answer this week.  This was one of the most heart-breaking books I've read in a long time.  Everything from the Holocaust setting to the desperation of the main character (Liesel) to the inner debates of the narrator, Death.

10. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie
A hilarious and poignant look at the life of a Native American who ventures off the reservation to attend a rural, primarily white high school.  Junior is a great character whose life experiences and inner thoughts kept me interested.  I found myself fascinated and often appalled at the depth of prejudice and depression depicted in this book.

Honorable Mentions: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

10 comments:

  1. nicely done, I liked reading your explanations since I'm unfamiliar with most of the titles. I loved "The Book Thief" kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got 3 of the same books lol. Great list! Out of My Mind sounds really interesting, I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, now that I've seen it I remembered that I REALLY need to read To Kill a Mockingbird!! I've been saying this forever and still haven't read it! :S SOON! ;) ;) The fault in our stars <3 <3 Love this book <3 And Divergent and Hunger Games? YES :) Awesome list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got The Hunger Games on my list as well and I definitely agree with you on To Kill a Mockingbird! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I forgot To Kill A Mockingbird and 13 Reasons Why!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of Always To Remember before but I think I'm going to have to add it to my TBR list. Loved seeing many of the books on your list! :)

    ~Allison @ Good Books and Good Wine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen Just Listen on a few different lists and every time it makes me more upset that I forgot to put it on my list.

    My TTT - http://robolobolynsuniverseofbooks.blogspot.ca/2012/09/top-ten-books-that-make-you-think.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list. So many I wish I had thought to put on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your explanations make me want to read several of your titles, especially Always to remember. I have The Book Thief on mine too. I bought Out of my mind by Draper for my library but haven't read it. Need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Book Thief is one of my all-time favorite novels. I think it is pure perfection. When I reached the near-end, I burst into tears on my couch and cried forever. It is so brilliant and emotional. I'm so glad you included it on this list!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.