Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Friday, September 21, 2012

REVIEW: "Country Mouse" by Amy Lane and Aleksandr Voinov


Country Mouse by Amy Lane and Aleksandr Voinov

Male/Male Romance --  Contemporary
For Ages 18+
Steam Level: Burning

Riptide Publishing -- April 23, 2012
Ebook, 79 pages

Rating: 4 Stars



SUMMARY

Owen may be a bit of a country mouse, but he's loving his vacation in London. After a long day playing tourist, he's on the hunt for some cheap beer and a good burger. Instead he finds a man hunting him, an arrogant prick with only one thing on the brain: the kind of meat that doesn't come on a bun.

Eighty-hour weeks at a trading desk don't leave Malcolm Kavanagh much time for meaningful relationships. Besides, in his world, everything's a competition-even sex. When his newest one-night-sub fails to show, Malcolm sets his sights on the pretty young Yank on the bar stool beside him.

Owen's all for an adventure with a native, but he's not the pushover Malcolm thinks he is, and Malcolm's not as shallow as he tries to be. They both soon learn that nothing's too intimate to share with a stranger, and the strangest things happen when two people share the most important pieces of their hearts.

MY THOUGHTS

Short, sweet, and to the point.  That is how I would describe Amy Lane and Aleksandr Voinov's collaborative novella about an American tourist and a domineering British workaholic.  I really enjoy Amy Lane's male/male stories, but Voinov is a new author to me.  After reading this, I will definitely look up Voinov's stories especially after hearing so many good things about his Dark Soul series.  While the page count is low, Country Mouse is a complete story with great characters and tender romance.

I loved both Owen and Malcolm.  I liked how innocent Owen was without being naive about his situation.  He is a beta hero who knows exactly what he wants in a relationship and isn't afraid to go for it.  But, for me, Malcolm stole the show.  His personality was so much fun to read about and he kept me guessing as to his true nature for a significant part of the book.  The way that Voinov and Lane didn't pigeonhole him into the stereotypical dom partner was very refreshing. 

As for the sex, I found it to be appropriately spice without going over the top.  The BDSM is very light and just provides a great way to showcase both Owen and Malcolm's personalities.  I love when authors have characters switching roles in the bedroom and this was especially poignant in this book.  Besides the sex, there are also an abundance of sweet, tender moments that made me believe they really could work as a long-term couple.

All in all, I found Country Mouse to be a sensual and enjoyable read with two great heroes and a happily ever after that made me smile with happiness.  I hope that Amy Lane and Aleksandr Voinov collaborate on more stories in the future especially if they are anything like this book.

**THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND RIPTIDE PUBLISHING FOR PROVIDING ME WITH A COPY OF THIS BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.**

SIMILAR TITLES
Cut & Run series by Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban
Bound series by Ava March
Muscling Through by J.L. Merrow

2 comments:

  1. great review . sounds like a great novella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Country Mouse, but I wasn't head over heels in love with it.
    I think I gave it 3 stars...

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.