Wednesday, September 5, 2012

MY BOOK BOYFRIEND (51): Samuel Thorne



My Book Boyfriend is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader all about fictional boys who make us swoon.  This week I am swooning over:

SAMUEL THORNE
by Tessa Dare




About Samuel Thorne:
  • Dark hair and blue eyes.
  • Has achieved the rank of Corporal in the British Army.
  • Suffers from spells brought on by remembering tragic events from the battlefield.
  • Has a mysterious past that he is ashamed to admit.
  • Prefers actions over words.
  • Has devoted his life (since childhood) to making Kate Taylor happy, no matter what.


Thorne has a very distinct look and personality that is described perfectly here:
In all her life she'd never known a man who could look so hard.  His face was stony--composed of ruthless, chiseled angles and unyielding planes.  Its stark terrain offered her no shelter, nowhere to hide.  His mouth was a grim slash.  His dark brows converged in disapproval.  And his eyes--his eyes were the blue of river ice on the coldest, harshest winter night.


He hides his true feelings for young music teacher Kate Taylor until this moment:

 "What is it?  For God's sake, what is it about me you find so intolerable?  So wretchedly unbearable you can't even stand to be in the same room?"  

He muttered an oath.  "Stop provoking me.  You won't like the answer."
"I want to hear it anyhow."
He plunged one hand into her hair, starling a gasp from his lips.  Strong fingers curled to cup the back of her head.  His eyes searched her face and every nerve ending in her body crackled with tension.  The sinking sun threw a last flare of red-orange light between them, setting the moment ablaze.
"It's this."  With a flex of his arm, he pulled her into a kiss.  And he kissed her the way he did everything.  Intensely, and with quiet force.  His lips pressed firm against hers, demanding a response. 


Despite his feelings, Thorne does not feel worthy of Kate even after he proposes a faux engagement to protect her:

 He took her by the shoulders, forcing her to face him.  "We're ill suited.  I know that.  I could never make you happy.  I know that, too.  I'm so far beneath you, the best I could ever offer would be a paltry fraction of what you deserve.  I'm aware of all of this, Miss Taylor.  You don't have to remind me."


The below statement shows what Thorne truly desires from life and from Kate:

 Damn.  If only he had it in him to love, to give her what she needed--he would claim her for his own and keep her so very close.  To tease him, to kiss him back from the shadows, to laugh merrily when he terrorized his friends.  To make him feel almost human, every once in awhile.  If only.



But, after lots of drama and hijinks, Thorne is finally able to own up to his feelings and get what he truly deserves.
"I never thought Greek philosophy could make a damn bit of sense to me. And most of it didn't, but those words just seemed right. 'Love is composed of a single soul, inhabiting two bodies.'" He took her by the shoulders drawing her close. "It rang true for me, in a way nothing else did. Whatever soul I had, Katie, I think I placed it in your keeping twenty years ago. And now, it's as if...every time we kiss, you give a little piece of it back."


 He closed his eyes and pressed his brow to hers.  "It's all your fault."  His voice was rough with emotion.  "You listened when I needed it.  Laughed when I needed that.  You wouldn't go away, no matter how I scowled or raged.  You loved me despite everything and you made me love you in return.  I'm a different man because of you."


My Samuel: Henry Cavill

About A Lady By Midnight:  A temporary engagement, a lifetime in the making...After years of fending for herself, Kate Taylor found friendship and acceptance in Spindle Cove--but she never stopped yearning for love. The very last place she'd look for it is in the arms of Corporal Thorne. The militia commander is as stone cold as he is brutally handsome. But when mysterious strangers come searching for Kate, Thorne steps forward as her fiance. He claims to have only Kate's safety in mind. So why is there smoldering passion in his kiss?

Long ago, Samuel Thorne devoted his life to guarding Kate’s happiness. He wants what's best for her, and he knows it's not marriage to a man like him. To outlast their temporary engagement, he must keep his hands off her tempting body and lock her warm smiles out of his withered heart. It's the toughest battle of this hardened warrior's life...and the first he seems destined to lose.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, what a rake Samuel is! I love a man who tires to prove his worth to his woman. Such beautiful devotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few historical romances recently and really enjoyed them, I think I'll add this to my TBR as I love a scowley hero who underneath is protective and loving especially if he thinks he's not good enough for her. Great choice Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds sweet! This is my first time visiting your blog, and I love your title. Have you read the first book in this series? It's hilarious; I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy a good historical romance novel and Samuel seems like a great character.

    Nice choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Samuel is definitely a very swoon worthy character! The quotes make him so desirable, I'm putting this book on my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.