Thursday, August 23, 2012

REVIEW: "Unearthly" by Cynthia Hand


Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
(Unearthly #1)

Young Adult -- Paranormal -- Angels
For Ages 13+
Steam Level: Kisses 

Harper Teen -- January 2011
Ebook, 267 pages

Rating: 4 Stars




SUMMARY

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
MY THOUGHTS

This book was extremely entertaining and easy to read.  I have found that I am not a huge fan of YA angel books, but I enjoyed this one.  Cynthia Hand provided readers with a mature, original look at the world of angels and how they would interact with the human world. 

I liked Clara's characters and how she adjusted to her angel destiny.  She is not a perfect Mary Sue, but is likable and relatable.  Her relationship with her mother and brother is wonderful to read about and rare in modern YA fiction.  The way that these three work together to deal with their angel qualities gives the paranormal part a fun twist.  I especially enjoyed the scenes where Clara is learning to fly...very reminiscient of that first driving lesson!

In terms of the romance, I found myself liking both Christian and Tucker though I have a small soft spot for cowboys.  Tucker is just easy to adore with his sarcastic comments that hide his sweet personality.  The scenes with him and Clara were almost too sugary, but still great to read.  I don't feel like readers got to know Christian enough to really make an informed opinion about him, but I'm hoping the later books in the series will address that.

The mystery of angelbloods and what their purposes really are is intriguing to me.  I couldn't imagine having to rely on random visions to figure out your destiny which is also related to someone's possible survival.  I really look forward to reading the next in this series and seeing the aftermath of Clara's choices.

SERIES INFORMATION

Unearthly
1. Unearthly
2. Hallowed
3. Boundless (Expected 2013)

SIMILAR TITLES
Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter
Angelfall by Susan Ee
Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

1 comment:

  1. I loved Paranormalcy so I should really get to this one soon. I've had it on my shelf for the longest time. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.