Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Thursday, August 9, 2012

REVIEW: "Kiss of Frost" by Jennifer Estep


Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep
(Mythos Academy #2)

Young Adult -- Paranormal
For Ages 13+
Steam Level: Kisses

Kensington -- November 2011
Paperback, 354 pages

Rating: 4 Stars



SUMMARY

I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time.

Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword.

MY THOUGHTS

***WARNING: REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS FOR TOUCH OF FROST, MYTHOS ACADEMY BOOK ONE.***

In the first book of this series, Touch of Frost, readers watched as Gwen Frost was sent to the prestigious Mythos Academy in order to learn how to harness her supernatural abilities.  But, Mythos is not your typical boarding school with all the students being descendents of mythological warriors like Valkyries, Spartans, and Amazons.  Gwen and her fellow classmates are being trained to fight against Reapers, supporters of the god of chaos, Loki, and keep them from freeing their trapped master.  It is through her first encounters with the Reapers that Gwen discovers she has been chosen by the Greek goddess of victory, Nike, to keep Loki from ever escaping his secret prison.

Kiss of Frost shows Gwen becoming more comfortable with the routine and atmosphere of the Academy. She is still fairly new, but is developing friendships with other students and relationships with certain teachers.  Gwen is also gaining more confidence in her position as Nike's Champion and as a user of Gypsy magic.  There is alot of discovery regarding the possiblities of psychometry which I thought was a lot of fun and very creative on the part of the author. 

As a heroine, Gwen continues to be a fairly realistic teenager who was thrown into a strange situation.  She is very sarcastic and intelligent yet still feels like an outcast at times.  Even though she is aware of her position as Champion, Gwen isn't the most confident in her classes especially when having to compete against trained Valkyries and Amazons.  But, there are obvious signs of maturity and growth on her part which makes for an entertaining journey. 

The secondary characters of the Mythos Academy series continue to develop into prominent people.  I particularly enjoy the scenes with Gwen and Logan, the sexy Spartan warrior with some type of deep dark family secret.  These two have alot of chemistry between them which is compounded by the fact that they cannot be together.  I also loved Gwen's best friend, Daphne, the pink-loving Valkyrie who also happens to be a secret technological wiz.  Her bubbly personality provides a nice balance with Gwen's broodiness and I liked the way that the author is showing her unique romance with band geek, Carson.  And, of course, I can't mention side characters in Mythos without giving a shout-out to Vic, Gwen's talking sword!

The main plot of Kiss of Frost involves a series of attempts on Gwen's life (again), possibly from a Reaper that is undercover at the Academy, and an Academy-sponsored trip to a nearby ski resort for the Winter Festival.  The Winter Festival scenes were alot of fun especially with Gwen being about as uncoordinated as I am.  I enjoyed the overall storyline, but did find a few of the plot points and resolutions a little obvious and at times anti-climatic. 

There is a ton of action in this book, just like the previous one, especially with Gwen trying to figure out who is trying to kill her without alarming her friends.  The final battle scene was pretty suspenseful and well-written.  I never got confused as to who was fighting whom and thought that it showed where Jennifer Estep may be going with the rest of the series.

Overall, I continue to be impressed with the worldbuilding and the characters of Mythos Academy.  Now that most of the introductory information is out of the way, the overarching plot is starting to pick up and the characters are becoming familiar.  Definitely can't wait to read more about Gwen's adventures at this very unique school!
SERIES INFORMATION

Mythos Academy
0.5. First Frost (novella)
1. Touch of Frost
1.5. Halloween Frost (novella)
2. Kiss of Frost
3. Dark Frost
4. Crimson Frost (To Be Released December 2012)
5. Midnight Frost (To Be Released August 2013)


SIMILAR TITLES

Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins
Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
The Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout

3 comments:

  1. I have this book, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I must do it soon! wonderful review(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog title! I nominated you for an award:
    http://emily-toomanybooks.blogspot.com/2012/08/versatile-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favourite YA series too, Jennifer Estep is an auto buy for me. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.