Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Monday, August 20, 2012

REVIEW: "Fish & Chips" by Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban



Fish & Chips by Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban
(Cut & Run #3)

Romantic Suspense -- Male/Male
For Ages 18+
Steam Level: Hot 

Dreamspinner Press -- December 2010
Ebook, 314 pages

Rating: 5 Stars



SUMMARY

Special Agents Ty Grady and Zane Garrett are back on the job, settled into a personal and professional relationship built on fierce protectiveness and blistering passion. Now they're assigned to impersonate two members of an international smuggling ring-an out-and-proud married couple-on a Christmas cruise in the Caribbean. As their boss says, surely they'd rather kiss each other than be shot at, and he has no idea how right he is.

Portraying the wealthy criminals requires a particular change in attitude from Ty and Zane while dealing with the frustrating waiting game of their assignment. As it begins to affect how they treat each other in private, Ty and Zane realize there's more to being partners than watching each other's backs, and when the case takes an unexpected turn and threatens Ty's life, Ty and Zane will have to navigate seas of white lies and stormy secrets, including some of their own.

MY THOUGHTS

While I enjoyed Cut & Run and Sticks & Stones, I believe it was this book that sealed the deal on my obsession for Ty and Zane.  I absolutely adored this story and see it setting the stage for some great books to come. 

Like most of my reviews, I will resist re-summarizing the plot since you can just check it out above.  But, if you need a quick statement, I will say that Fish & Chips is about Ty and Zane going undercover as a gay married couple, on a cruise, in order to bust a massive smuggling operation.  This mission requires both of the heroes to undergo some changes in looks and mannerisms especially Ty. 

I found the mystery in this book to be the most intriguing of the series so far.  I liked all the twists and turns that Roux/Urban threw in there which kept me turning the pages late into the night.  The suspense was definitely turned up in this book and I think it gave it some bite that had been missing earlier.  I also love it when I am surprised by the revelation at the end of a mystery and this occurred in Fish & Chips.

The setting was really fun to read about...I love cruise ships!  It was an interesting choice to have all the action going down in an isolated area, but that made it different.  Plus a ship provides alot of intriguing places for Ty and Zane to hang out and do...other fun things.

Of course, what really makes this series stand out is Ty and Zane and their relationship with each other.  Each book provides readers with more insight into the guys' characters which helps us appreciate them more and more.  By making the guys portay a married couple, the authors allowed them to develop an intimacy that hadn't been evident before.  On this mission they didn't need to hide their relationship and it felt a little freeing despite the fact that they had to pretend to be someone else the entire time. 

I really liked the changing of the roles that occurred in this book especially on Ty's part.  He had to play the role of a boy toy and was surprisingly good at it.  But, he also showed he was getting comfortable around Zane enough to take on this role.  There was also some major character development on the part of Zane.  The authors spent a bit of time focusing on Zane's alcoholism which I thought gave the whole plot a more realistic tone. 

I believe there were some major strides in the romance between Ty and Zane in this book especially with a certain event at the end.  Therefore, I can't wait to see where Roux and Urban take these lovely gentleman next.  I definitely recommend this book to fans of the series or fans of well-written male/male romance!


FAVORITE QUOTE: "The word that comes to mind is 'beefcake'," Zane drawled, looking Ty over, appreciating the view.  "Mission accomplished then!" Ty said happily as he turned around to face Zane again. He frowned suddenly. "Is beefcake one work or two?"  Zane laughed. "Who cares when you've got a great ass?"


SERIES INFORMATION

Cut & Run
1. Cut & Run
2. Sticks & Stones
3. Fish & Chips
4. Divide & Conquer
5. Armed & Dangerous
5.5. Dine & Dash
6. Stars & Stripes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.