Thursday, August 16, 2012

REVIEW: "Dark Frost" by Jennifer Estep


Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep
(Mythos Academy #3)

Young Adult -- Paranormal -- Mythology
For Ages 13+
Steam Level: Kisses

Kensington -- May 2012
Paperback, 336 pages

Rating: 4.5 Stars


SUMMARY

I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?

It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.

MY THOUGHTS

Absolutely wonderful!  I have enjoyed the previous two books in the Mythos Academy series, but never found myself impatiently waiting to get back to my pleasure reading as I did with Dark Frost.  In this one, Jennifer Estep took our beloved characters and put them through the ringer from the very beginning.  This book is much darker and grittier than the earlier installments which I thoroughly enjoyed since it had a definite urban fantasy feel to it.

The main plot involved Gwen's search for the Helheim Dagger, which is the last artifact that is keeping the big bad Loki trapped, and the identity of Loki's Champion who she suspects is a student at the Academy.  As mentioned, the action of Dark Frost starts from the beginning and readers don't get much of a breather until the, to me, shocking conclusion.  -action starts off from the beginning and readers don't get much of a breather until the shocking conclusion.  I won't go much deeper into the storyline to avoid spoilers, but I will say that the events of this book will definitely have serious aftereffects that I can't wait to read.

As a heroine, I thought Gwen took major steps.  She is taking a proactive approach to finding the Helheim Dagger while trying to balance a typical high school life with friends and possible romance.  Her trademark sarcasm and geeky nature is still there, but with a hardened edge that shows she is maturing and understanding her role as Nike's Champion. 

There weren't as many new characters in Dark Frost, but the returning side characters continued to be highly enjoyable and perfectly suited to the storyline.  The students and teachers are becoming more three-dimensional especially Logan and Daphne.  I really like the way that the author is depicting the Logan/Gwen romance.  It is pretty rare in YA fiction to see a couple that is not a victim of a love triangle or the dreaded insta-love.  Both of these two characters have alot of maturing to do to be a proper couple, but it is fun to watch!  I also continue to adore Daphne, the pink-loving Valkyrie, and her too-cute-for-words romance with resident band geek, Carson. 

Altogether, I think Dark Frost is my favorite of the series so far.  Almost everything about the book worked for me from the characters to the plot to the suspenseful ending that is making me want time to move faster so I can get Crimson Frost!

SERIES INFORMATION

Mythos Academy
0.5. First Frost (novella)
1. Touch of Frost
1.5. Halloween Frost (novella)
2. Kiss of Frost
3. Dark Frost
4. Crimson Frost (To Be Released December 2012)
5. Midnight Frost (To Be Released August 2013)


SIMILAR TITLES

Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins
Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
The Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout

2 comments:

  1. I have read a lot of good things about this series but somehow I still feel reluctant to go get a copy :(

    DDS @ b00k r3vi3ws ~~ Old Follower
    http://b00kr3vi3ws.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about this series but I've never read it. It does sound pretty interesting though, so maybe soon I'll give it a chance. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.