Wednesday, August 1, 2012

MY BOOK BOYFRIEND (47): Kaidan Rowe



My Book Boyfriend is an awesome weekly meme that was created by Missie at The Unread Reader.  It is being co-hosted by Lesley at My Keeper Shelf for the rest of 2012.  This week I am swooning over:

KAIDAN ROWE
from Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins


What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?  This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within.
It isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

About Kaidan:
  • His name is pronounced Ky-den.
  • His close friends, and Anna, call him Kai.
  • Seventeen years old and plays drums for a rock band, Lascivious.
  • Nephilium or half-demon/fallen angel.
  • His father is the demon in charge of Lust.
  • Is forced to help his father tempt and terrorize humans.
Why I Love Kaidan:
  • Has an English accent.
  • Has respect for his elders even humans.
  • Is willing to take a strange girl on a road trip across the country as a favor.
  • Has no experience with caring about someone and having them care about him.
  • Is very protective of Anna and her friends.
  • Has the whole tortured bad boy vibe, but actually has the upbringing to back it up.

Wowza.  He was smokin' hot.  As in H-O-T-T hott.  I'd never understood until that moment why girls insisted on adding an extra T.  This guy was extra-T worthy.  I examined the drummer, determined to find a flaw.  Brown hair.  An interesting haircut: short around the sides and back, but longer on top, hanging loose and angling across his forehead.  His eyes were narrow and his eyebrows were a bit thick and . . . Oh, who was I kidding?  I could pick him apart, but even the shifty slant of his eyes made him more alluring to me. (pg. 13-14)



"Do you always say that?" he asked.
"Say what?"
"That you. . . love each other?"
"Oh.  Yeah, we always say it."
He nodded thoughtfully and pulled our bags from the backseat.  It dawned on me sadly that Kaidan might have never said those words to anyone, nor heard them from anyone in is life, except maybe girls. (pg. 129) 




In that moment, I fooled myself into believing I was in control--that a quick kiss would be no big deal.  I turned to him, bringing my arms up over his shoulders, moving my fingers over the hair at the nape of his neck, and pulling his face up the last few inches to my waiting lips.
Kissing was far more blissful and intimate than I'd dared to let myself imagine.  His cheeks and chin were rough, but our lips were soft together, careful and slow.  I felt his hunger as his lips moved a bit harder, which I found that I wanted.  His hand went to my waist, outlining my hip.  I could have kissed him all night.  It was the most wonderful feeling in the entire world. (pg. 136) 




"Don't pity me, Anna, and don't think well of me for that small revelation. Don't fool yourself into believing I haven't enjoyed the work I've done, because I have.  You should know who you're dealing with." (pg. 157) 



"Unless you're going to be my boyfriend, you shouldn't touch me like this."  He did not pull away, repulsed, as I had expected.
Instead, he spoke into my hair, "The Neph are not permitted to be in relationships, especially not with one another."
"Nobody has to know," I said into the air, closing my eyes.  "Just us."
"It can never happen."  His rejection was gentle, but firm. (pg. 233) 



"Wait, Kaidan called from behind me. I squeezed my eyes shut for a second, but kept walking. Then I felt his hand around my wrist, spinning me in a half circle and pulling me to his chest. His face was so close. He reached down and cupped my face with one woolly hand, and wiped the top corner of my lip hard with his thumb.
I flinched back, "What are you doing?"
"I..." He appeared to have no idea himself, "I wanted to see your freckle."
A vulnerable tenderness flashed across his face, more painful to see than the coldness. It took every ounce of strength I had not to beg for one last kiss. As fast as his expression had softened, it was back to stone again.
"What do you want from me, Kai?"
"For starters?" His voice lowered to sexy, dangerous depths. "I want to introduce myself to every freckle on your body." (pg. 347)




His mouth found mine in the dark, fiery and rough.  I gave a tiny whimper before melting into him and pulling his face down to mine even harder.  In that kiss we spoke all of the things we couldn't say.  He kissed me with an urgency born of some strong, unstable emotion: fury.  I tried to imagine the nature of that feeling.   Was he angry because of how I made him feel?  Angry that he was powerless to change tonight's outcome?  I didn't know, but I welcomed it.  (pg. 416) 



My Kaidan: Adam Gregory

5 comments:

  1. I love Adam Gregory! Sweet Evil needs to be made into a movie like now so Adam can be Kai! How do we make this happen?

    I have yet to read this book, but I loved those quotes, so I will soon. And really, the son of lust? There's no way I could resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my bookshelf waiting to be read I NEED to get to it soon! I love that whole being introduced to every freckle quote, that's soooooo swoon worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DEFINITELY need to read this book soon! I've heard some mixed reviews, but after those quotes, I need to meet Kaiden for myself!!
    ...and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to not picture him as Adam Gregory. Sa-wooooon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously LOVE this guy! Those quotes definitely have me needing to read this right now. Thank you so much for sharing – Have a great weekend! :)

    Here's mine:
    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-book-boyfriend-20-oren.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Those are great quotes you pulled -- they really show both characters' personalities. I love the writing style, too-- will def have to put this one on my TBR"someday" list! Thanks so much for sharing!
    ~Serena @Edgy Inspirational Romance

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.