Friday, August 10, 2012

FOLLOW FRIDAY (37) and TGIF (25)

Gain New Blog Followers
Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that expands your blog following by a joint effort between bloggers. Feature & Follow Friday is now hosted by TWO hosts, Rachel of Parajunkee and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!


This Week's Feature Blogs:
The Bookshelf Review
Compelled by Words

Q: What would you do over if you were to start your blog again from scratch?

 This is a hard question.  I guess the main thing I would do over is begin networking alot sooner.  I've gotten really into Twitter and memes in the last six months of my blog so I wish I done that more in the beginning.  Sometimes I wish I was a little better at the whole html thing because I'm pretty hopeless at it.  Other than that, I've been fairly happy with my blog experience and hope it shows!


*******
I have created different ways for you to follow my blog: GFC, LinkyFollowers, email, Twitter, or Goodreads.  Comment, follow me, and I'll return the favor!!


********************


Hosted by Ginger at GReads.

This Friday's Question
Unexpected Books: Which books did you have reservations about reading, but ended up loving once you did?


Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
When I first heard about this book, I was hesitant because I just kept thinking it would be super cheesy like some of the other YA contemporaries I had been reading.  But, some readers who I greatly respect continued to obsess over the story so I finally gave in and I'm so glad I did.  This has become one of my favorite books ever and I have recommended it to almost anyone who would listen.


Downside Ghosts series by Stacia Kane
I am a huge UF fan, but I wasn't sure about this series because of my preconceived notions about the heroine.  Chess Putnam is a drug addict who spends a good deal of her time dealing with her issues and I didn't think I could relate to a character like that.  Boy was I wrong!  From the moment I started Unholy Ghosts, I became completely engrossed in Chess's journey and have spent many nights rooting her on despite her unorthodox habits.


Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
My hesitations with this series were due to my dislike of the Twilight novels.  I have been a fan of vampire adult fiction for years, but mostly found myself turned off by the YA offerings.  Then I read the first book in Richelle Mead's Georgina Kincaid series and fell in love with her writing style.  So I figured that I should probably give VA a chance and have been so happy that I did.


Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas
Lisa Kleypas is one of my auto-buy authors when it comes to historical romance.  But, when she announced she was going to do a contemporary romance, I was pretty skeptical not because I didn't think she was a good writer (she's one of the best), but because I am very picky about contemporary romances.  I ended up getting Sugar Daddy from the library in case I didn't enjoy it, but found myself devouring it in 24 hours and then heading out the bookstore to buy my own copy.  BTW, the next two in the series (Blue-Eyed Devil and Smooth-Talking Stranger) are even better!


Naked in Death by JD Robb
I will come right out and admit that I am not the biggest fan of Nora Roberts.  I can appreciate her ability to be so prolific in her writing, but I haven't found too many of her books that I've liked.  So I was hesitant when I heard that she had a futuristic detective series, but I kept hearing so many wonderful things about the ever so sexy Roarke that I had to give it a try.  Now, I am slowly making my way through this lengthy series (in audio version) and am right now listening to Vengeance in Death (Book 6).


20 comments:

  1. After one year, I still don't know how to use twitter. Networking is my Achilles' Heel. New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just now trying to figure out Twitter. Bu I'm using it more than FB. Not just sure if I should start a FB page for my blog.

    Old Follower
    Kendal
    Kinx's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Vampire Academy series too - I haven't read Twilight, so had no comparisons. And I've been blogging for less than a year - and networking is still something I need to work a lot harder on too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna was so good!! I'm glad you did end up reading it, it's on the list of my favourites as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG yes to Anna and the French Kiss and Vampire Academy. For Anna, the guy on the cover reminded me of someone who broke my heart so I didn't want to read it. For VA... they just looked cheesy. But I loved them both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I had someone from GR convince me I needed Twitter and ever since it has been much easier talking to people and getting my blog out there.
    Happy Friday!
    New Follower via GFC
    My Friday Follows

    ReplyDelete
  7. Networking is super important!
    But I think your blog is awesome!

    Old follower-
    My FF
    -Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah networking, I only just broke down and made myself a twitter! X)
    And I'd love to know more HTML too.
    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would've networked more and head a plan ahead of time. I know enough HTML to piddle and google what I don't know lol

    My follow friday. PLease visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Networking is definitely a super great skill to have -- wonderful way to meet new "bloggers" and find other fun blogs!
    Have a wonderful week!
    The Brunette Librarian's FF & a special giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't even understand how important networking was. It's crazy.

    I really want to read Anna and the French Kiss.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite a few say the same about the html part. I think its nice to know for real.

    old follower
    http://itchingforbooks.blogspot.com/2012/08/feature-and-follow-810.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome answer. I wish I had gotten into twitter sooner too. =] Old Follower. Thanks for sharing and visiting My FF
    Michael @ The Bookshelf Review

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopping by and now following, too! Love your blog :)

    Happy reading,
    Ms. C
    http://coffeetalereviews.blogspot.ca/2012/08/follow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great answer! I've just started and have made a twitter!(: New follower via Linky!(:

    simple-books.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope I have the same experience with Anna and the French Kiss! I was really hesitant, but after reading so many amazing reviews I decided to give it a try, but it's still on my TBR pile.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Old follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great advice about networking. Thanks for sharing. I’m glad I dropped by from TGFI. I am your newest follower.
    Cheers,
    Shanae
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would agree with you on the blogging, I pretty happy with what I've done on the blog so I don't think I'd change that but I definitely wished I started networking sooner!

    I read Lola first because I thought Anna sounded to cheesy but I really liked Lola so I decided to give Anna a try and I actually liked it more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I try to wrap all of my memes & link-up posts into the one weekly post - I don't want to overwhelm my blog with them, but it is so much fun to get to know other bloggers a bit better :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m now following your blog! Here’s my link:

    http://www.grantmorris.net/2012/08/blog-post.html

    Grant

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.