Sunday, July 29, 2012

WEEKLY RECAP: July 22-28, 2012




BOOKS READ (5)

Half-Blood (The Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout (4 Stars)
Finally read this very popular YA paranormal book!  I was a little thrown off by the Vampire Academy similarities, but I liked the mythology aspect.  The middle to the end definitely started stepping away from VA-lite and I found myself really enjoying it.  I already bought the next in the series, Pure, and I am excited to see where Armentrout goes with her storyline.
 
Pole Star by Josephine Myles (3 Stars)
A short, free read that offered a half-hour of fun.  Both heroes were well-written and I found myself wanting to know more about them.  I would love to have seen Myles make this into a lengthier story, but it was okay for what it was. 

The Asylum Interviews: Bronx (The Asylum Tales #0.5) by Jocelynn Drake (4 Stars)
Jocelynn Drake is a new-to-me author so I thought I'd test the waters with this prequel novella.  Angel's Ink, the first in the Asylum Tales series, doesn't come out until October, but Drake is publishing some introductory stories.  I really liked her writing style and loved the way she depicted her paranormal/fantasy world.  Gage seems like he is going to be a fascinating protagonist plus he sounds like he has some dark secrets to reveal.  Bronx, the troll, was a fun character and I look forward to seeing more of him.  He was giving me some wonderful Terrible vibes!  Also, bonus points for Drake choosing a unique aspect of a paranormal world to focus on: potions and tattooing!

Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles #2) by Melina Marchetta (4.5 Stars)
Another wonderfully creative and moving addition to this high fantasy series!  Froi was one of my favorite characters in the first book, Finnikin of the Rock, so I really enjoyed getting to find out more about his personality and his mysterious past.  Once again, the cast of characters continued to grow, but never seemed overwhelming.  Each person was given a definite purpose and really helped move the plot along.  I especially liked the mad princess of Charyn, Quintana, who will be the main focus of the final book coming out in September!

Ceremony In Death (In Death #5) by JD Robb (4.5 Stars)
Absolutely loved this installment in what is becoming a favorite series!  I loved almost everything about it from the dark, creepy case to all the wonderful characters.  Eve and Roarke are an amazing couple and so much fun to read about.  And audiobook narrator Susan Ericksen did a fantastic job as always.

REVIEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.