Thursday, July 19, 2012

THROWBACK THURSDAY (2): "Beauty" by Robin McKinley



Throwback Thursday is weekly meme hosted by The Housework Can Wait and Never Too Fond of Books.  This feature focuses on recommendations for books that aren't New Releases, specifically books released more than five years ago in any genre.  These titles may be older, but they are still worthy of readers' time and attention!

This week I decided to feature one of my favorite fairy tale retellings.  I have loved fairy tales my whole life (hence the blog name) and am always pumped to read a great retelling that makes me think twice about these classic stories. 

Beauty
by Robin McKinley
Harper Collins -- Originally Published in 1978

A strange imprisonment...

Beauty has never liked her nickname. She is thin and awkward; it is her two sisters who are the beautiful ones. But what she lacks in looks, she can perhaps make up for in courage.

When her father comes home with the tale of an enchanted castle in the forest and the terrible promise he had to make to the Beast who lives there, Beauty knows she must go to the castle, a prisoner of her own free will. Her father protests that he will not let her go, but she answers, "Cannot a Beast be tamed?"

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite fairytales. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my shelf, I started it when I was pregnant a few years ago but I never finished it. Thanks for reminding me I'll have to read it again. Great Selection.
    New follower
    My Throwback

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.