Thursday, July 12, 2012

REVIEW: "What a Boy Wants" by Nyrae Dawn


What A Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn
(Boy #1)

Young Adult -- Romance
For Ages 13+
Steam Level: Kisses 

Self-Published -- April 2012
Ebook

Rating: 3.5 Stars 




SUMMARY

Courtesy of watching his mom’s relationships, Sebastian Hawkins knows what girls need to do to get a guy. He has what he considers a PHD in hooking up. When he needs extra cash for a car, Sebastian starts up an online venture as The Hook-up Doctor, to anonymously help girls land the guy of their dreams. Of course, his services don’t offer a happily-ever-after guarantee. He’s seen firsthand getting together never means staying together.

And then he falls in love… With the last girl he would expect…Totally not in his game plan.

Suddenly, Sebastian finds himself muddled in the game he’s always prided himself on. He can’t even pick up girls at parties anymore! Why would anyone want to be in love when it turns you into a stuttering, screwed-up, mess with really lame stalker tendencies? Stalking? Totally not his gig.

But the Hook-up Doctor won’t let himself go down easily. He’s always known how to give a girl what she wants and now it’s time to figure out what a boy wants… and he definitely plans on getting it.

MY THOUGHTS

This was a very sweet and entertaining book. I loved books with male povs and Sebastian was such a great narrator. His outlook on life was very skewed, but understandable. Watching him fall in love was refreshing and kept me reading until late at night.

Sebastian's friends were very important to the overall storyline. I really liked Pris and Jaden and the obvious complex relationship they have. I look forward to reading their story soon. I had a hard time liking Aspen especially at the beginning. I'm not sure what it was, but nothing ever jumped out about her.

Overall, I liked the writing style of this story. The plot moved along at an easygoing pace, but never seemed boring or simplistic. There were points where I felt the story went a little too far into creating drama just for drama's sake, but this was a rare occurence. The dialogue was fairly realistic for teenagers and never seemed disjointed.

This was a unique take on the classic YA romance that I would definitely recommend. Sebastian's narration were one of the highlights and I applaud Nyrae Dawn for providing something fresh to the genre.


SERIES INFORMATION

Boy Series
1. What A Boy Wants
2. What A Boy Needs
BOOK CHALLENGE ENTRY

1 comment:

  1. I was the same way about Aspen. Never really felt much for her. I loved Bastian's POV. It felt very male and realistic for his age which is usually rare in YA books. It was a fun and fast read. I read it all in one night and really enjoyed it! I still need to read Jaden's story too!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.