Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Tuesday, June 26, 2012

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: "Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors" by Molly Harper


Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors by Molly Harper
Narrated by Amanda Ronconi
(Jane Jameson #4)

Paranormal Romance--Vampires
For Ages 18+
Pocket Books/Audible--February 2012
Audiobook, 8 hours and 28 minutes

Rating: 5 Stars



SUMMARY

Just as Jane Jameson’s unlife seems to be stabilizing, fate sinks its fangs firmly into her butt. Despite her near-phobia of all things marital, her no-frills nighttime nuptials to her sexy boyfriend Gabriel are coming along smoothly. But the road to wedded bliss gets bumpy when a teenage acquaintance is fatally wounded in front of Jane’s shop and she turns him to save his life. The Council pronounces Jane responsible for the newborn vamp until he can control his thirst.

Jane’s kitchen at River Oaks barely holds enough Faux Type O to satiate the cute teen’s appetite and maintain Gabriel’s jealous streak at a slow simmer. As if keeping her hyperactive childe from sucking the blood out of the entire neighborhood isn’t enough to deal with, the persnickety ghost of Jane’s newly deceased Grandma Ruthie has declared a war on the fanged residents of River Oaks. Suddenly,
choosing monogrammed cocktail napkins and a cake that she can’t eat seems downright relaxing in comparison.

Tensions inside the house are growing…and outside, a sinister force is aiming a stake straight for the center of Gabriel’s heart. Most brides just have to worry about choosing the right dress, but Jane fears that at this rate, she’ll never make it down the aisle for the wedding all nice girls dream of…

MY THOUGHTS

Warning: Review may contain spoilers for earlier books in the Jane Jameson series.

Wow!  What a wonderful ending to a wonderful series!!  I loved everything about this book from the characters to the romance to the comedy to the conclusion.  The only thing I didn't like was that there wasn't more for me to read! 

Jane Jameson, the librarian turned vampire, has become one of my favorite heroines of all time!  I adore almost everything about her.  She is a highly entertaining and sympathetic narrator while her escapades continue to be over-the-top yet realistic.

In Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors, readers see Jane become more comfortable with her vampire lifestyle and even take a huge step in her relationship with Gabriel.  Her now-legal vampire wedding is fast approaching and she must deal with a variety of problems such as the dress, the food (which she can't eat), the guests, and, of course, staying alive long enough to attend.  After reading about Jane's wedding feelings during Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men, I was ecstatic to find out how she would react to her own ceremony.  And it was worth it!  Plenty of drama and romance ensued!     

Readers are also introduced to a fabulous new character in the world of Jane: Iris Scanlon the daytime concierge and assistant to vampires who is acting as the wedding planner.  I loved the way that the writer depicted Iris's easy handling of Mrs. Jameson and Jane and look forward to learning more about her in the upcoming spinoff novel, The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires.

Like the other Jane Jameson installments, this book contains two major plotlines that are balanced out with tons of mini-adventures.  Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors begins with Jane witnessing a horrible accident and then turning a hometown boy upon his request.  This forces her to understand the struggles of vampire parenting especially when trying to help a "way to sexy for his age" teenager.  I loved Jamie's character especially when it came to his interactions with Gabriel. 

Jane and Gabriel also have to deal with a series of threats and attacks on them that seems to be related to some unfortunate events that occurred in the very first book of the series.  I found this mystery to be fairly obvious, but it didn't lessen my enjoyment of it.  It was nice to see Jane become the protector and showed how far she has grown as a character.

I feel like I'm repeating myself when I describe what else I enjoy about this series, but it bears saying again.  Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors continues to alot of fun with its great secondary cast like Dick, Andrea, Zeb, Jolene, and the Jameson family.  While Jane and Gabriel are wonderful, what really makes this series stand out is the detail and vibrancy of these not-so-minor characters.  The comedy is always well-written and runs the gamut from smiles to sometimes inappropriate laughter.  Plus it balances with the dramatic storylines perfectly to keep me coming back for more.

I also have to mention that I have listened to this entire series on audiobook and have been extremely impressed with Amanda Ronconi's performance.  She really understands the humor in the books and makes sure that the punchline is always perfectly delivered.  Her various character voices provide a smooth transition and an easy listening experience.  I will definitely search out more of her readings in the future.

All in all, the Jane Jameson series has exceeded all my expectations when I started it a few months ago.  I love Molly Harper's writing style and look forward to what she will come up with next.  I'm just sad to see my time with Jane and the gang end so soon.  Highly Recommended!!

SERIES INFORMATION

Jane Jameson
1. Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs
2. Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men
3. Nice Girls Don't Live Forever
4. Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors

BOOK CHALLENGE ENTRY

1 comment:

  1. I like this series too, but I think the first book was my favorite. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.