Announcement

Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews is currently on hiatus. I hope to return to blogging sooner rather than later.

I will still be posting mini book reviews on Goodreads and talking books on Twitter so feel free to find me there.

Thank you and happy reading1


Thursday, June 14, 2012

REVIEW: "Lethal Rider" by Larissa Ione


Lethal Rider by Larissa Ione
(Lords of Deliverance #3)

Paranormal Romance
For Ages 18+
Grand Central Publishing--May 22, 2012
Mass Market Paperback, 433 pages

Rating: 5 Stars




SUMMARY

Thanatos, the most deadly Horseman of the Apocalypse, has endured thousands of years of celibacy to prevent the end of days. But just one night with the wickedly sexy Aegis Guardian, ReganCooper, shatters centuries of resolve. Yet their passion comes with a price. And Thanatos must face a truth more terrifying than an apocalypse-he's about to become a father.

Demon-slayer Regan Cooper never imagined herself the maternal type, but with the fate of the world hanging in the balance she had no choice but to seduce Thanatos and bear his child. Now, as the final battle draws closer and his rage at being betrayed is overshadowed by an undeniable passion for the mother of his child, Thanatos has a life-shattering realization: To save the world, he must sacrifice the only thing he's ever wanted-a family.

MY THOUGHTS

**WARNING: This review contains spoilers for earlier books in the Lords of Deliverance series -- Eternal Rider and Immortal Rider.**


TEN THINGS I LOVED ABOUT LETHAL RIDER

1. The Hero
Ah....Thanatos....I fell in love with him during the first LoD book, Eternal Rider, so I was super pumped to read his story and let me say he did not disappoint.  I have a huge soft spot for tortured heroes and Thanatos definitely fits the bill.  At the beginning of the book, readers see a very pissed off Thanatos and he has every reason for those feelings after being tricked by Regan and the Aegis.  But, it doesn't take long for his true nature to reveal itself which I absolutely loved.  He is a very lonely man whose biggest desire in life is to have a family which battles with his feelings of betrayal when he finds out he is going to be a father, but not in the way he planned.  There has been a lot of speculation throughout the series about Thanatos's abilities and background so it was nice to have a better idea of where he came from and why he acts the way that he does.  As a romantic hero, he was a good balance between tough alpha male and tender lover which just made me love him even more.     

2. The Heroine
Regan was the main reason I was a little hesitant about this book.  During Immortal Rider, readers see Regan set out to seduce Thanatos in an effort to conceive a child that she and the Aegis believe will help save the world.  But, the actual seduction did not go the way that Regan planned with her supernatural abilities going out of control.  As a heroine, Regan has many of my favorite qualities: strength, respect, intelligence, and ambition.  She understand why Thanatos is upset with her and she wants to make things right while still protecting her unborn child above all.  Regan's childhood left much to be desired so she is understandably hesitant about being a mother and I admired her strength in dealing with her qualms.

3. The Love Story
Even though Thanatos and Regan had an unconventional start to their relationship and some decent-sized obstacles to overcome, I thought they were a very sweet and passionate couple.  During Immortal Rider, we saw their inital attraction to each other as well as hints of something more.  Lethal Rider forces these two to interact with each other as chaos reigns around them.  Through their close encounters, Thanatos and Regan develop friendship and respect for one another.  They learn the darkest secrets of the other's soul and try their best to provide solace and healing.  I adored all the little tender moments between them, and their baby, and was rooting for their happily ever after.

4. His Family
One of my favorite parts of a Larissa Ione book is the large cast of characters that surround the hero and heroine.  And, for the Lords of Deliverance series, some of my favorites are the siblings that make up the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.  In Lethal Rider, there is alot of interactions between Arik, Limos, and Thanatos.  They have a unique relationship which I love reading about.  And, of course, I can't not mention Reseph/Pestilence.  I won't go too far into Pestilence to avoid spoiling the book, but I loved how Ione characterized him and uses him to further the overall plot of the series.

5. Reaver/Harvester
I absolutely adore these two and their nasty, violent interactions.  There seems to be alot of mystery behind their pasts especially Reaver's and I am anxious to find out more.  I have heard that Reaver will be getting his own book in the series and I am crossing my fingers that he is paired up with Harvester.  I love unconventional couples and these two are just too awesome to not be together.

6. Return of the Seminus Brothers
While readers have seen the Seminus siblings from the Demonica series pop up at various places, this is the first book in LoD where we have gotten alot of interaction with them.  And it was fabulous to see them all again!  Wraith is as snarky and fun as always while Eidolon and Shade still retain their sexy, protective sides.  I also liked the way that Ione threw in Lore and Sin to complete the Demonica set.  I love these characters and I look forward to anything that allows me to see more of them.

7. Ione's Worldbuilding
Larissa Ione's worldbuilding is, in my opinion, her biggest strength.  The detail that she puts into this world and its mythology is mindblowing.  There is so much creativity floating around that I keep reading just to see what she is going to come up with next.  I really enjoy the fact that she continues to develop this supernatural world while still making it seem realistic to her readers.

8. Action
From beginning to end, Lethal Rider is full of action.  There is very little downtime in this book which I love.  As a reader, my adrenaline was pumping and I kept turning pages so I could find out what happens.  I will warn potential readers that Ione does not shy away from violence or death in her books, but that is what makes it so much fun.  There is a real sense of danger in these stories that draws in the audience and makes them feel like they are living through the apocalypse.

9. Series Continuity
Another thing that is impressive about Ione's writing is her ability to continue a main storyline amongst all the little subplots.  From the beginning of the series, readers have seen the apocalypse coming and, with each book, it just gets closer and closer.  I highly recommend that readers start with Eternal Rider or, even better, the Demonica series to get a real feel for what is going in this world.  This is definitely not a stand-alone!

10. Answered and Unanswered Questions
There are many questions that float around my head when reading or thinking about the Lords of Deliverance series.  Who is the Horsemen's father?  How did vampires come into being and what is their relationship with Thanatos?  Can Pestilence be turned back into sweet, fun-loving Reseph?  Why did Reaver fall in the first place and what is his relationship with Harvester?  Lethal Rider provided me with answers to some of these while giving me even more questions to ponder over until I read Rogue Rider.  It can be slightly annoying and mind-numbing, but I wouldn't have it any other way with this series.

SERIES INFORMATION

Demonica
1. Pleasure Unbound
2. Desire Unchained
3. Passion Unleashed
4. Ecstasy Unveiled
4.5. "Eternity Embraced" from The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2: Love Bites
5. Sin Undone
6. Demonica: Overkill from Ione's website

Lords of Deliverance
1. Eternal Rider
1.5. "Vampire Fight Club" from Supernatural anthology
2. Immortal Rider
2.5. "Eternal Damnation" from Apocalypse: Lords of Deliverance Compendium
3. Lethal Rider
4. Rogue Rider (To Be Released November 2012)
5. Reaver's Book (To Be Released 2013)
BOOK CHALLENGE ENTRY



1 comment:

  1. I like the tattoo. you seem to really be into these series. good for you, i'd have to jump on board as well cause they seem interesting. great review!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.