Monday, June 25, 2012

REVIEW: "Cut & Run" by Madeleine Urban and Abigail Roux


Cut & Run by Madeleine Urban and Abigail Roux
(Cut & Run #1)

Romantic Suspense -- Male/Male Romance
For Ages 18+
Steam Level: Hot

Dreamspinner Press--September 2008
Ebook, 370 pages

Rating: 4 Stars




SUMMARY

A series of murders in New York City has stymied the police and FBI alike, and they suspect the culprit is a single killer sending an indecipherable message. But when the two federal agents assigned to the investigation are taken out, the FBI takes a more personal interest in the case.

Special Agent Ty Grady is pulled out of undercover work after his case blows up in his face. He's cocky, abrasive, and indisputably the best at what he does. But when he's paired with Special Agent Zane Garrett, it's hate at first sight. Garrett is the perfect image of an agent: serious, sober, and focused, which makes their partnership a classic cliché: total opposites, good cop-bad cop, the odd couple. They both know immediately that their partnership will pose more of an obstacle than the lack of evidence left by the murderer.

Practically before their special assignment starts, the murderer strikes again — this time at them. Now on the run, trying to track down a man who has focused on killing his pursuers, Grady and Garrett will have to figure out how to work together before they become two more notches in the murderer's knife.

MY THOUGHTS

I have heard alot about this series recently, but was a little hesitant to start it.  While I thoroughly enjoy a good male/male romance, I am not always a fan of romantic suspense except for the occasional Suzanne Brockmann or J.D. Robb story.  But, after seeing all the readers that were pumped for the fifth installment in the series (Armed & Dangerous), I decided to bite the bullet and am I glad that I did.  This first book in the Cut & Run series provided me with hours of fun with the unique characters, the mystery plotline, and the surprise romance.

As protagonists, Ty and Zane were really hard to read at first.  With Ty being a former Marine who recently lost his FBI partner and Zane as the not always sane lifetime FBI agent, I wasn't sure if I would be able to connect with them.  One of the biggest things I look for in an enjoyable book is the connection with the characters, whether through adoration or hatred.  But, I shouldn't have worried.  Both of these guys slowly grew on me as they did each other.  I was fascinated by their growing relationship as professional partners and the slow transition to being romantic lovers.  I know that this is just the beginning for these two and I can't wait to learn more about them.

I really enjoyed the serial killer investigation.  This goes along with my sometimes unhealthy obsession with creepy murder mysteries ala CBS's Criminal Minds tv show.  I found the motives of the killer and his inspiration to be fascinating as well.  I did get a little disappointed when I figured out the true identity of the killer early on and got frustrated that the guys couldn't see it.  But, that is only a minor quibble.

The aftermath of the investigationw as a nice segue into the series.  Both Ty and Zane have obvious issues to deal with and I look forward to reading more about them.  I'm always hesitant to try a book that has gotten such praise since I'm worried that I will be the lone person who doesn't enjoy it.  But, that was definitely not the case with Cut & Run.  Highly recommended to fans of suspense and murder mysteries with a hint of romance.
SERIES INFORMATION

Cut & Run
1. Cut & Run
2. Sticks & Stones
3. Fish & Chips
4. Divide & Conquer
5. Armed & Dangerous
6. Stars & Stripes (To Be Released 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.