Friday, June 1, 2012

FOLLOW FRIDAY (28) and TGIF (17)

Gain New Blog Followers
Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that expands your blog following by a joint effort between bloggers. Feature & Follow Friday is now hosted by TWO hosts, Rachel of Parajunkee and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!


This Week's Feature Blogs:



Q: You are a matchmaker -- your goal, hook up two characters from two of your favorite books. Who would it be? How do you think it would go?

Puck from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series and Luna from Harry Potter
I felt really bad for Puck at the end of the series so I think he needs a girl of his own.  Luna seems like she would be a good fit for him with her oddball personality and love of mythological things.  Plus they could just have weird conversations with each other that no one else would be able to understand.

Ian from Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series and a grown-up Dani from Karen Marie Moning's Fever series
Ian needs a special woman to make him forego his promiscuous ways and I think an adult Dani would keep him on his toes.  They both are used to apocalyptic events surrounding the supernatural so they would have that to bond over.  Plus they have snarky personalities which would be hilarious to watch interact. 
*******
I have created different ways for you to follow my blog: GFC, LinkyFollowers, email, Twitter, or Goodreads.  Comment, follow me, and I'll return the favor!!


********************


Hosted by Ginger at GReads.

This Friday's Question
Issue Books: Which books have you found to be very rewarding when it comes to tackling tougher issues?

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
This is a sometimes terrifying account of a teenage girl, Caitlin, with an abusive boyfriend.  It is told from her point of view so readers watch as Caitlin meets Rogerson, falls in love with him, and slowly comes to realize how much control she gives him.  It is hard to read at times, but I think it gives young adults a good insight into dating violence.  People on the outside of these types of situations sometimes comment about why the abuse victim didn't just walk away and Dessen makes a deliberate effort to show how Caitlin gets into such a relationship while keeping her a sympathetic character.




Breathing Underwater by Alex Flinn
Another YA book that deals with dating violence, but this time it is told from the point of view of the abuser.  It is slightly disturbing how well Flinn writes Nick's voice as he remembers how he ended up in a type of anger management class.  Through flashbacks, readers realize that something isn't right from the beginning with Nick, his relationship with his father, and his relationship with his girlfriend, but they can't look away.  It really made me think about the tragedy that it is child abuse and its heartbreaking aftereffects.  Also, Flinn emphasizes the importance of being responsible for one's actions regardless of one's past experiences.




**********************



**BOOKS READ**
Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress #1) by Gena Showalter [3.5 Stars]
Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue #2) by Anne Mallory [3.5 Stars]
Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson #3) by Molly Harper [5 Stars]

**REVIEWS**
Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter [link]
The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan [link]

**BLOG FEATURES**
TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books I Hope We're Reading in 30 Years [link]
WAITING ON WEDNESDAY: Scandal Wears Satin by Loretta Chase [link]
MY BOOK BOYFRIEND: Spade from Jeaniene Frost's First Drop of Crimson [link]

6 comments:

  1. Puck and Luna...*imagines for a moment*...OH MY GOSH YES! I never would've thought of this match, but it's actually perfect! Oh gosh WHYYY can't it be real?!
    If anyone deserves a happy ending, it's definitely Puck.

    Here’s my hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I totally agree with your Sarah Dessen pick for TGIF. I haven't read the other one though, but I'll have to add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Luna and Puck. :) They were fun characters. New follower!

    FF:
    http://theinkymelody.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks!
    I haven't read Dreamland, but I love Sarah Dessen's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm.. I haven't read any of these but great picks :D New follower via GFC and Linky!

    Kayla @ Bengal Reads (YA Blog) & Reading On The Wild Side (Adult Blog)

    "Click Here" To view my #FF post for Bengal Reads

    "Click Here" To view my #FF post for Reading On The Wild Side

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your couples. Puck & Luna? Perfect! Ian & grown up Dani would be an interesting pair. Maybe she'll post their new relationship in her newsletter. LOL!
    New GFC follower

    My Feature & Follow

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.