Tuesday, May 15, 2012

TOP TEN TUESDAY (24): Freebie--Book Friendships

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


TOP TEN BOOK FRIENDSHIPS
This week is kind of a freebie one so I decided to do a list of my favorite literary friendships.  Here we go!!

1. Harry/Ron -- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
One of the most realistic depictions of guy friendship I've read.  They became quick friends on their way to Hogwarts and went through all the major adolescent milestones together.  While they may not always agree, their loyalty and caring could never be in question.

2. Penelope/Eloise -- Bridgerton Family series by Julia Quinn
You don't see many friendships in historical romance so this is a pleasant surprise.  Penelope and Eloise have been friends for ages and it shows in their interactions.  Quinn shows them spending time with each other away from all the balls and social events of the Season which is rare in this genre.

3. Mia/Lilly -- Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot
These two are hilarious together!  They couldn't be more opposite, but they complement each other perfectly.  They had their arguments like any teenage friends, but these ultimately made their friendship stronger.

4. Rose/Lissa -- Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
The catalyst for the entire series.  Rose's protective instinct when it comes to her vampire best friend is unmistakable.  Almost everything she does is based on Lissa's safety.  They do go through a few rough patches along the way, but eventually come together for a satisfying concusion.

5. Jane/Zeb -- Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper
A perfect example of why boys and girls can have platonic friendships.  Jane and Zeb have been friends since childhood and have rarely had romantic feelings for each other despite Zeb's mother's wishes.  Even after Jane is turned into a vampire, Zeb helps her adjust to her new lifestyle and even gets involved in the supernatural world himself.

6. Vishous/Butch -- Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward
This one gets a little romantic since there was definite chemistry between these two, but they have both settled down with other people.  One of my favorite scenes in this series was the meeting between Vishous, the vampire, and Butch, the human cop, where they bonded over their love of the Boston Red Sox.  Even now after both being married and some other spoilerific changes, V and Butch continue their strong friendship.

7. Halley/Scarlett -- Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen
Sarah Dessen does fabulous teen relationships: romance and friendship.  This one is my absolute favorite!  Halley and Scarlett have been friends for years, but their relationship is really tested when Scarlett discovers she is pregnant by her boyfriend who died in a motorcycle accident.  They band together and get through all the issues that come with such a situation. 

8. Annabelle/Lillian/Evie/Daisy -- Wallflowers series by Lisa Kleypas
Another well-written friendship in historical romance.  These four girls are considered wallflowers for various reasons: Annabelle's lack of money, Evie's shyness, and Lillian &  Daisy's American heritage.  They decide to become friends and try to find husbands for each of them with successful and often hilarious results.  Even after each of them is married, their friendship is still strong and important to the series.

9. Carmen/Bridget/Lena/Tibby -- Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares
It is rare to see such a bond between four girls that lasts through childhood, adolescence, and eventually adulthood.  Each of these girls is unique yet they work so well together.  I still haven't read the last book, Sisterhood Everlasting, and I'm hesitant because I don't want to see the end of this fabulous friendship.

10. Bones/Spade/Ian -- Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost
Paranormal bromances!  These three men come from different places in London society, but they all ended up on a ship bound for a penal colony in Australia.  After a short amount of time, Ian is turned into a vampire and he, and his sire, turn his friends in an effort to thank them for their friendship.  There are is some drama afterwards, but, through it all, these vampires have remained loyal to each other.

14 comments:

  1. Great topic for the week! I especially love the harry/ron and Rose/Lissa dynamic.

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday
    http://joie-joiedelire.blogspot.com/2012/05/top-ten-tuesdays-hottest-boys-in-ya.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw yay, love this topic!! The trio is my fav aspect of HP & I agree about Sarah Dessen. Sisterhood of Traveling Pants always made me wish I had a close knit group like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love a book/series with great friendships. There are a lot that get under my skin and rub me the wrong way but the greatest ones affect you in the best possible manner and stick with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so listening to Princess Diaries for the first time, and I absolutely love Lily and Mia! And oh the sisterhood, how I love thee!

    Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great choices! Harry and Ron, Lilly and Mia are a few of my personal favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your topic! Friendships in books are sooooo important! Ron and Harry are by far my favorite and I would throw in Hermoine as well. I never read the Princess Diaries but I did enjoy Mia and Lilly in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great topic! I love all your choices. Hailey and Scarlett in Someone Like You is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harry & Ron, Penelope & Eloise...perfection in friendships! Love those choices.

    What a great choice for a topic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great topic! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great topic! I absolutely love the Ron/Harry and the Sisterhood friendships. I don't know some of these on your list, that means it's time to get reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read a lot of these, but I definitely agree about Ron and Harry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, I love the topic you've chosen!! :) :) <3 Lots of times I am so wraped in the romance that I forget about the friendship in books! :) Agree completely with Lissa and Rose ;) That was really a strong bound. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this list! Excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this list!!! :D Vishous/Butch ♥ & Bones/Spade/Ian I love too. So so so much! :D

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.