Tuesday, May 8, 2012

TOP TEN TUESDAY (23): Book Quotes

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

TOP TEN QUOTES FROM BOOKS

1. "The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." –Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
One of my all-time favorites that is perfect for bookworms.  P.S.  This was my graduation quote in high school.

2. "A long time ago I learned not to explain things to people. It misleads them into thinking they're entitled to know everything I do." –Lisa Kleypas, Dreaming of You
 Kleypas has many fabulous quotes, but this one spoken by Victorian-era author Sara Fielding is so true to life.

3. "Love's about finding the one person who makes your heart complete. Who makes you a better person than you ever dreamed you could be. It is about looking in the eyes of your wife and knowing all the way to your bones that she's simply the best person you've ever known." –Julia Quinn, The Viscount Who Loved Me
There are many definitions of love out there, but this is the one that made me sigh and clutch the book to my chest.  Anthony Bridgerton is one of my favorite romance heroes ever!

4. "It is our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities." –JK Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
By far, the best quote in the entire series and the embodiment of what Rowling is trying to say with her books.

5. "Music is a total constant. That's why we have such a strong visceral connection to it, you know? Because a song can take you back instantly to a moment, or a place, or even a person. No matter what else has changed in your or the world, that one song says the same, just like that moment." –Sarah Dessen, Just Listen
I adore music and I think this quote is a great way to explain why.

6. "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." –Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
Classic line that should be used as everyone's personal motto.

7. "I love books, by the way, way more than movies. Movies tell you what to think. A good book lets you choose a few thoughts for yourself." –Karen Marie Moning, Darkfever
MacKayla Lane takes some getting used to in this series, but this line sealed my love for her early on.

8. "When male authors write love stories, the heroine tends to end up dead."
–Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Ain’t She Sweet
Not my favorite SEP book, but my favorite quote of hers.  I especially found it funny after thinking about my teenaged Nicholas Sparks phase.

9. "A person's a person, no matter how small." –Dr. Seuss, Horton Hears a Who
One of my favorite children's books plus such a great message!

10. "If you can't stop thinking about someone's update, that's called status cling." –Jessica Park, Flat-Out Love
This book has a great balance of funny and serious with this quote being one that had me giggling like a loon in public.  I use "status cling" all the time now! 

10 comments:

  1. That Jessica Park quote had me laughing! I too really liked Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. I wasn't really expecting it, but it really spoke to me. I love how music was part of everything in that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love #1 and #7 (I <3 Mac)!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #10 is great! I think I might start using that phrase now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh goodness, I LOVE your picks! The very first one is the quote I use as part of my blog header!

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh #10 is too funny. I'm going to pick up that book now.
    Love #3 too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With The Hunt, I believe it's going to be a book that people either love or hate. So, I hope you like it...

    And I loved your quotes! That first one about bookworms, loved it! Thanks for sharing and visiting my top ten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAH! Status Cling. I totally forgot about that, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the quotes from Just Listen and To Kill a Mockingbird. Sarah Dessen is an amazing writer.
    Ant last one is so funny. Status cling. Lol. Flat-Out Love is on my tbr list, and now I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaaa LOVE your list!! Amazing quotes!! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have really had some bad experiences with Jane Austen, but I think you have convinced me with this quote to try that lesser known work. Maybe I'll like it better than P&P!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.