Wednesday, May 30, 2012

REVIEW: "Awaken Me Darkly" by Gena Showalter


Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter
(Alien Huntress #1)

Science Fiction -- Romance -- Urban Fantasy
For Ages 18+
Downtown Press--2005
Paperback, 358 pages

Rating: 3.5 Stars




SUMMARY

In a time and place not too far away, Mia Snow is an alien huntress for the New Chicago Police Department. Heading up her expert team of Alien Investigation and Removal agents, Mia's unmatched at battling the elusive enemy among us, and she's the perfect girl for the job. She's seen her brother die at the hands of aliens. She's earned each of her scars. And she'll die before she cries. Now, a series of killings have Mia and her partner Dallas tracking alien suspects -- but a sudden blast of violence leaves Dallas fighting for his life.

The chance to save Dallas appears in the form of a tall, erotic stranger. An alien. A murder suspect. Kyrin en Arr, of the deadly Arcadian species, holds the power to heal the injured agent but not without a price. For Mia Snow, that price is surrendering to Kyrin's forbidden seduction...and embracing their electric attraction. She's walking a knife's edge, risking her badge and even her life. The closer she gets to Kyrin, the more Mia learns about her own heart, her human needs -- and the shocking secret that will shatter everything she's ever believed.
MY THOUGHTS

Interesting premise and a good series starter.  I liked the worldbuilding in this futuristic Chicago.  The backstory of the aliens or otherworlders was detailed, but not overwritten.  There is still some mystery behind their appearance and purpose which I appreciated.

It took some time for me to warm up to the heroine, Mia.  She is a tough woman with a difficult job so she comes across a little unrelatable.  I did admire her strength and, thankfully, I got used to her brash personality.  The fact that the entire story is told from her point of view helped with this aspect.  I liked Kyrin, the alien hero, and wish that we had seen more of his character.  I think the first person viewpoint skewed this a little bit more than I would have liked.  His feelings for Mia were confusing, at times, as was the reason for his actions throughout the story.  But, he had definite potential and I would like to see more of him.

As a couple, Mia and Kyrin were hard to read.  There was quite a bit of confusion, as I mentioned earlier, about their true feelings for each other especially when their actions didn't match their proclaimed emotions.  There was a nice mix of hot sex scenes and tender romantic moments so I could see a possible happily-ever-after in their future, but I would have liked more proof.

The mystery that makes up the majority of plot was intriguing and kept me guessing for quite a while.  I have this weird obsession with serial killers so this was right up my alley!  I will warn possible readers that some of the murder scenes were a little graphic though nothing worse than you would see on primetime television.  All in all, this was a fascinating science fiction/urban fantasy story.  This isn't my usual genre of choice, but I enjoyed the book and will definitely seek out more in this series.

SERIES INFORMATION

Alien Huntress
1. Awaken Me Darkly
2. Enslave Me Sweetly
3. Savor Me Slowly
4. Seduce the Darkness
5. Ecstasy in Darkness
6. Dark Taste of Rapture

Young Adult-Alien Huntress
1. Redhanded
2. Blacklisted

Otherworld Assassin
1. Last Kiss Goodnight (To Be Released 2012)

1 comment:

  1. I love urban fantasy so this does interest me..great review!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.