Friday, May 11, 2012

FOLLOW FRIDAY (25) and TGIF (14)

Gain New Blog Followers
Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that expands your blog following by a joint effort between bloggers. Feature & Follow Friday is now hosted by TWO hosts, Rachel of Parajunkee and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!


This Week's Feature Blogs:

Books Galore




fakestephbutton Feature & Follow #96
The Fake Steph Dot Com

Q: This Sunday in the U.S. is Mother's Day. In celebration, what are some of your favorite books with strong mother/child relationships?


One relationship that I thought of is between Apollymi and Acheron from Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters series.  Apollymi is an Atlantean goddess who is imprisoned and can only be released by her son.  Unfortunately, she has pledged that she will destroy the world the moment she is free because of the way humanity tortured Acheron.  Even though they haven't seen each other in their physical states since Acheron was a baby, they seem to have a strange yet comforting relationship.


Another mother/child relationship I love is the one that Lady Bridgerton has with all her children in Julia Quinn's Bridgerton Family series.  She is very prominent in all eight books and always knows just what to say to help her kids.  Plus she had to raise most of them by herself after her husband's unexpected death. 




I also love Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter and how wonderful she is to both her natural and 'adopted' children.  It is interesting to see how much influence she has on Harry and the others throughout their adventures. 

Some others that I thought of were: Helen and Mia Thermopolis from Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series and Janine and Rose Hathaway from Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series.



*******
I have created different ways for you to follow my blog: GFC, LinkyFollowers, email, Twitter, or Goodreads.  Comment, follow me, and I'll return the favor!!


********************


Hosted by Ginger at GReads.

This Friday's Question
Supporting Characters: We tend to gush over those main characters the most, but what about those supporting roles? Who are some of your favorites?

1. Simi from the Dark Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
A Charonte demon with the personality and style of a Gothic teenager.  She is the adopted daughter of the Dark Hunter Acheron and loves sparkly jewelry, Travis Fimmel, and barbeque sauce.  Her one-liners always make me laugh in these series and her outlook on life is so refreshing even if it is a little skewed.

2. Finnick Odair--Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
I was hesitant about Finnick at first, but he quickly grew on me.  I loved seeing the deeper parts of his character reveal themselves throughout Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  He is so much more than a pretty face...


3. Grimalkin--Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
I adored Grim's sarcastic and mysterious comments throughout this series.  He always disappeared and then reappeared at the most random moments.  His motives were always a little suspect, but Meg, Ash, and Puck would have been lost without him.  Plus he reminds of the Cheshire Cat!


4. Luna Lovegood--Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
My all-time favorite in this series.  She is the type of person I wish I was...so comfortable with herself and her place in the world.  Plus she was in Ravenclaw, the House in which I would probably be sorted.

5. William--Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter
An ancient warrior who is possibly related to Hades, Lucifer, and the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse.  His sense of humor and fighting prowess are prominent throughout this series.  He has not had his HEA yet, but I'm crossing my fingers for a resolution soon!






**********************



**BOOKS READ**
Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters #1) by Rose Gordon--3 Stars
Sins of the Heart (Otherkin #1) by Eve Silver--3.5 Stars

**REVIEWS**
Confessions From An Arranged Marriage (Burgundy Club #4) by Miranda Neville (link)
Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson #1) by Molly Harper (link)

**BLOG FEATURES**
TOP TEN TUESDAY: Book Quotes (link)
MY BOOK BOYFRIEND: Zarek from Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon (link)
WAITING ON WEDNESDAY: A Blood Seduction by Pamela Palmer (link)
2012 Immortals Reading Challenge Update (link)

22 comments:

  1. I love the Mrs. Weasley icon! That seems to be a really popular answer today.

    New GFC Follower here!

    Chelsey@Charming Chelsey's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing so hard at the Mrs. Weasley picture! I totally forgot about her, but it's a good pick. My Feature & Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mrs. Weasley! I laughed so much at this icon! :D
    I'm a new GFC and Twitter follower. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even think of Mrs. Bridgerton but that is a great mother/children relationship. I love that whole series!

    Here's my ff:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2012/05/mothers-ff-51112.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of the books you listed! I tried Harry Potter a while back, but couldn't do it.

    Doodle @ Doodle's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Thanks for stopping by. Old follower.

    Happy Friday :)

    Jamie@Addicted2Heroines

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to read this Dark Hunters series. And I seriously love Mrs. Weasley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read the books which you've put down for your #FF but I'll check them out!
    I love your choices for TGIF, I definitely love Finnick as a support character, his a wonderfully developed character :)

    Have a great weekend!

    TGIF - http://thewildreader.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/tgif-5-supporting-characters.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot believe I couldn't think of Molly! But she would SO be one of my answers haha!

    Thanks for droppin by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to look into the Dark Hunters series, sounds good. Great answer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Luna Lovegood! I named my German Shepherd after her. Maybe not the best idea I had though, I think the name opened the door for my dog to be loony. Old follower. Happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post!! I can't believe I forgot about Mrs. Weasley!!

    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Luna is one of my favorite characters from HP. Love her quirky character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mrs. Weasley was my choice too! Your choices for favorite supporting characters are great - Finnick & Luna are brilliant characters.

    Anyway, new follower! Here's my FF.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked Mrs. Wesley too. As for you TGIF, supporting characters are so important in a story. I liked finnick too. :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Lisa @ Lost in Literature

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am still kicking myself for not thinking of Mrs Weasley. I really liked Luna as well, but I couldn't limit myself to just one HP character which I why I named them all!

    Old follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read either of the first series and I can't believe I forgot about good ole Mrs. Weasley. She's a mum if there ever was one!

    My follow friday. Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, Mrs. Weasley I "know" ... however, the other two you mention are complete mysteries and this is why I'm here to read some original suggestions/comments. Thank you.

    New follower:
    http://michelecozzens.blogspot.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That mama weasley pic is too awesome

    new follower :)
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi :)

    I'm an old Linky & twitter follower :)
    Thank you for visiting my FF post!!! I love the Dark Hunter series but I haven't caught upto Archerons book yet!:) Also I loved Rose Hathaway and her mom.;)

    Hope you had a fabulous weekend. Happy reading!:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great answers! I really love Mrs. Weasley as well!

    Thank you for hopping by for FF!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.